5speed to automatic

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by terry r cosner, Jun 26, 2022.

1. terry r cosner

terry r cosner Newbie

Truck:
    june of 1986.. .. so ... an eighty seven.. long box.. maroon maybe once.. two wheel drivestandard tr
    i have looked around and am convinced that i am speaking wrong language.. i need back bones fuzed.. some days it is all i can do to raise right leg far enough to mash brake pedal n left is even worse. an automatic would help me now right away as well as later when recovering. so i have tranny located and will be trading my 5 speed soon for it.. is there anything i need to be carefull of or wath out for .. enyone .. info is welcome

2. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Make sure you get a flex plate, oil cooler lines, oil cooler if needed check the speedo wire and connector. Check all the wiring and connectors I think it's 2. Check for cracks on the entire housing. Check both input/output shafts for any play. Don't forget the torque converter. Clean it before install to track possible leaks down the road. A340s are known for their solenoids going out after about 180k

terry r cosner likes this.
  3. terry r cosner

terry r cosner Newbie

Truck:
    june of 1986.. .. so ... an eighty seven.. long box.. maroon maybe once.. two wheel drivestandard tr
    thank you for info .. ive bene chevrolet mechanic from age 16 n some things you pointed out i kmew .. but if you dont use often you often loose .. so thank you

Erwin Merida likes this.
  4. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Its the little stuff that will catch you out, flex plate bolts, into the crank and torque converter, shifter and linkages, inhibitor switch wiring, brake pedal....

5. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    I use a B&M type drag shifte with my a340e. It requires a little bit of fab work, but works out super well for a universal interface. as for inhibitor switch, do you mean the neutral start safety switch? mine dlesn't work, but isn't a problem.

20201031_172957.jpg

6. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    yep the safety switch, it only has to be a problem once. I worked at a shop where a mechanic started a car with a faulty switch. He started it while standing beside the car with the door open. It took of in reverse and knoked him over and smashed the back of the car. They will do that if the auto choke it on fast idle.

7. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Don't gorget the final gear! Auto trans uses a different ring and pinion ratio than manual. BIG issue many overlook.

Erwin Merida and terry r cosner like this.
  8. terry r cosner

terry r cosner Newbie

Truck:
    right now i am helping out in an auto parts recycle center (junk yard) n will look for and at all toyota pu rearends i find .. thanks for heads up

9. fourwd1

fourwd1 Member

Truck:
    84 4Runner rock crawler
    Yeah, the R+P ratio will be one step lower (numerically higher) on an auto equipped truck.

Also, IIRC the trans mount/crossmember maybe different.

And of course, you'll need the ECM and wiring harness.