A/C Refrigerant Conversion

Discussion in '1976-1983 Pickup Discussion' started by 83pickup, Jun 22, 2022.

1. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 22R Long Bed 5-Speed
    So, since it's summer without much to do and its broiling hot not to help it, I've decided to venture out of my comfort zone with my mechanical knowledge and attempt to convert my truck's factory A/C system onto the newer R134a/R13a whatever you call it refrigerant.
    Previously, I've owned a 1989 Toyota Van and had the A/C system converted to the newer stuff and I have a box of metric O-rings and some metal adapter fittings. In my introduction thread here , TRUCK ACTION gave me some steps for doing it, but I'm definitely gonna need some knowledge to do this, I probably have all of the tools required aside A/C-specific stuff like a refrigerant gauge and refrigerant and things, shouldn't be too difficult right? Haven't used the A/C since I got it (since its empty probably) but everything kicks in as it should, should take it to a shop for them to get all the old stuff out first though...

Luckily, I also have a 1983 FSM (Factory Service Manual) I can use as reference when needed, but I'll definitely need some input from the fellas here who've messed around with retrofitting their systems for sure, any input is appreciated! :) As of this posting, I'm observing some YouTube videos on retrofitting to hopefully help out with this. Thanks in advance!

2. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Read what I had posted about what needs to be done!

3. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    Assuming you mean this comment, the FSM (Factory Service Manual) shows a simple image of removing the receiver drier, "'TANK, RECEIVER AIR CONDITIONER' Part #: 88471-16010" which is pretty straight forward since its two clamps and two nuts and voila (should see if there's any R-12 still hanging around in the system beforehand so I don't explode something, damage something or get a gruesome injury!) Is it possible to reuse the drier or do I have to get a new one?

Removing the receiver drier and the compressor seem simple, and while I'm doing it I should do the drivebelts too since those are pretty cracked, probably somewhere in the manual on how to do that.

The FSM sure is damn handy as I would've had two left hands trying to do this without it and you of course! :bow: I'll see if I can muster some energy up tomorrow as today I was giving my interior a very deep clean and the Arizona heat was not too kind on me today as I had to run the truck with the fan on in the garage as to not pass out!!!

I'll look through my FSM some more to see what are the steps for removing stuff and all the specs for everything :thinking:Thanks again TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION likes this.
  4. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    Well, thought maybe a recommended-by-the-word-of-mouth mechanic I've found decent luck with could help me with my A/C troubles, but now I'm wondering if it's a bigger problem!
    Got my truck back yesterday, so let me note down some things about what's been done currently:

-Drier was replaced
    -Drivebelts were replaced, old ones were well due especially in this heat!
    -System was converted to R13a and charged; dye added

Now, here's the troublesome part about this:
    Despite their best efforts, there seems to be some complications (probably something burdening enough for a Toyota-specific mechanic to be unable to resolve and the original owner since he had simply taken the A/C belt off probably long before I got it) revolving around the flow of refrigerant in the system; specifically little and/or no-flow, or an unknown leak somewhere as adding dye didn't yield any visible results. The compressor and condenser are suspected but not guilty until proven since they, said mechanic, couldn't find them thru their ways of finding parts nor looked at them extensively so I'll have to track those down. The drier was replaced which temporarily yielded slightly cooler air until this morning of course.

The above was what the mechanic told me from text messages, here's what some more into-wrenching folks I know have said:
    Something with Schrader valves
    Seeing if the system is holding pressure & activating once it has a gas charge

So, before any logical thought about pulling the parts trigger graces my mind, how should I tackle this conundrum? Anything specific I can look at to see what could be a solution for this? Thanks in advance.:silly:

5. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    The dye in the system is good for checking for leaks, but even better is s sniffer tool, I got one on line , not to much $$ , & it works well.

83pickup likes this.
  6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    On ductless systems I worked on we used snoop. It's a non corrosive liquid that makes bubbles. Use it on your connections and service valves. Do your thing for 5 mins or so and check for bubbles. You'll have the system under pressure with nitrogen. Do a 24h pressure check as well. You would be noting the ambient temperature wherever you're working at the time you fill it. I've found really small leaks with this method. At this same time if you do have a sniffer you can try to find it with that. I have to point out I've had nitrogen/refer and hydrogen sniffers go off just by having my hand to close to the sensor.

83pickup likes this.
  7. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Cal-Blue works great

83pickup likes this.
  8. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    Right, so a bit of an update. Yep I know it's been a while BUT:
    I had the opportunity to bring my truck to my technical school and examine the A/C system more carefully and with the help of some good folks evaluated that the Expansion Valve is bad due to a Low-Side vacuum. The High Side seems to not getting high enough pressures, so I'm wondering if a bad Expansion Valve could cause wonkiness on the High Side too if anyone might know? Did get the system charged to 1.7 lbs of freon appropriately (R134a conversion was done a while back plus the drier in addition). Must be a clog of sorts since everything works, holds Freon fine but it just doesn't wanna blow cold air, and the pressures here are all wack too.

I am now looking for a proper Expansion Valve, and I will update this once it is replaced, or if I also find anything UNUSUAL! :cool:

9. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Expansion valve is the part that went on my truck's AC. It's buried in the dash, so my AC's been wing windows ever since!

83pickup likes this.
  10. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.

You must have 2/60 AC like mine. Open 2 windows…..go 60mph.

TRUCK ACTION and 83pickup like this.
  11. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    Yes, I am researching this topic and I was also wondering if anyone has an answer or some input:

Given that my truck has been converted to R134a, would it be wise to buy a Toyota OEM (toyota part # 88515-20040 for anyone else curious) which was made for R12, or buy a newer, albeit cheaper, expansion valve for R134a? Ill have to call the source for the Toyota OEM one and confirm they have one before hand, not the first time I've tried to buy stuff and get told its zip! no more.

Also, would changing the Expansion Valve be a major job? Or just a nuisance given it's in the dash inside of the cooler unit? I have a Factory Service Manual and can cross reference assembly and disassembly, ill need to do a bit of reading and confirm such a job could be done, unless theres someone online or even on here whose changed it and can share!

Thanks for the info again! :waytogo:quite a learning experience this old truck is !!