86 2wd 4spd 22r head gasket sealant used

Discussion in 'How To Articles' started by Gerald Smith, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Gerald Smith

Gerald Smith Guest

ATTENTION MECHANICS OF THE BEST TRUCK & MOTOR EVER 1986 22r Heater core plugged so bypassed. Finally overheated one too many times but this time I let it REDLINE.....so blew head gasket. Used Blue Devil sealant and IT WORKED !!!. But my dumb#@% reconnected heater core hoses wrong and as I let it idle I went inside house. 5 minutes later and its steaming with water hissing out new places. %#%%@ Ended up with water in oil this time. I let it sit til end winter 2 months. First thing I did changed oil and filter and plugs and drained radiator(its new)...filled it with distilled water before starting. Was going to use other half bottle sealant and per sealant instructions had to let run to warm up when I noticed ...NO LEAKS A MIRAVLE!àSo my usual 100 mile round trip to fill bed with firewood (no heat)was chilly . WONT stay idle running and ran rough until 20 mph and faster up to 80 mph it purred. LIKE ITS HITTING 3 CYLINDERS UNTIL REVVED UP Got to destination just as it start to overheat. No smoke and no leaks along the way there and back!! INTERNAL HEAD GASKET LEAK! SO WHAT DO I HAVE TO LOSE. MADE TWO ROUNDTRIPS JUST ADDNG ABOUT A GALLON DISTILLED WATER EACH 50 MILES. (Ive made two round trips) NO water in oil still.GOING TO ADD OTHER HALF BOTTLE BLUE DEVIL IN HOPES IT SEALS INNER LEAK. I BOUGHT A $60 SELF CONTAINED BOXED HEATER CORE THAT RUNS OFF MY ENGINE COOLANT LINES WITH DUCTS TO CONNECTTO UNDER DASH SO JUST BYPASSED PLUGGED CORE.EASIER THAN 12 HOURS of tearing dashboard apart ,dozens of nuts bolts & cuss words plus a $ $ spendy heater core. I HAVE RUN THE PISS OUT OF THIS TRUCK for 15 years !! USING DIESEL MOTOR OIL ....THOUGHTS?? GIVE BLUE DEVIL AGAIN.?? Can't afford head resurface.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2022
  2. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    reaurface the head if you don't want any more headaches. "sealant" ain't good for a darn thing, it is a cheap fix, and you get what you pay for.

3. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    The only comment I can make is I’d never buy a used vehicle from you.
    At this point the damage is done. Run it until it blows up.

Justin Danger likes this.
  4. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    At this point I'd deck the block too! I've used radiator stop leak before, didn't work after 20miles.. just spend the money on the right parts and head/block work. Do it right and get another 15 yrs out of it.

5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    About the only kind of "stop leak" you ever want in your car is ginder tabs. Some companies use them on new engines from the factory like gm but it's nothing like stop leak. Those kinds of sealants like blue devil end up sealing water passages inhibiting water flow. Don't mess with the devil.

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Just pull the head and use some "form in place gasket". It'll seal the uneven surfaces and you'll never blow another head gasket again. After that throw some head gasket in a can stuff and that will seal any possible cracks in the block.

please dont do any of this

Erwin Merida likes this.
  7. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Very familiar with 20R and 22R. Best Toyota engines ever built. Just about bulletproof, (but not idiot proof).
    It’s beyond me why knowing your engine is overheating you continue to let it run until you blow the head gasket. Why would you do that? Later you then pour fixit in a bottle, add water, start engine then walk away? Come back engine is steaming, water in the oil etc. At least stand there to ensure any problems you can shut the engine down.
    The fact your engine still runs is testimony to Toyota engineering, not your mechanical ability.
    You’ve created all your problems, now you want advice how to fix it?
    I can almost guarantee your 200 mile trips are coming to an end. You’re running on borrowed time.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Here's a thought. Maybe not a head gasket but a cracked block. If it's cold enough to need heat for yourself it's cold enough to need some real coolant.

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Maybe this guy SHOULD do what i jokingly typed out....

10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux

If things weren't so questionable I would say if he can't afford a real head resurface do the redneck machine work with granite or thick tempered glass and sandpaper. I would get the block magnafluxed and head get checked for cracks before any of that though.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  11. Gerald Smith

Gerald Smith Guest

i d