Anyone Feeling Creative?

Discussion in 'Wheels/Tires' started by mike1305, Feb 19, 2022.

1. mike1305

mike1305 Newbie

Truck:
    82 SR5 2WD 5MT
    I've been dicking around in photoshop but I am a 4/10 at best... trying to mess around with colors on the wheels my grandfather had installed on the 82 back in the day. See if it's worth refinishing them or just getting new wheels. they are in great shape and seemingly rare. 14x6 so a bit narrower than I'd like, but they are undeniably unique. I think they are from a sport trim of the Aspen/Volaire from the 70s. Trying to go with a White/Black/Blue theme on the truck, not sure how to integrate that into these wheels without being too loud. Maybe blue on the very edge of the outside lip, black face, silver in the holes? idk. Also below are some ideas I was kicking around last year for styling (don't mind the color schemes I was just experimenting). And measurements for what I *think* will fit on the truck to give it more of a cool street look. Would likely install a mild block kit on the rear and torsion down the front. Anyway, three random thoughts all in one place for your Saturday morning. Comment if inclined, though I'm used to asking dumb questions into the void lol. Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(For above BFG T/As)

OEM = 14x6.5 ET20, 195/70R14
    New Fronts = 15x7 ET6, 225/60R15
    New Rears = 15x8 ET-12, 255/60R15

2" of sticking out on the rear is a tad ridiculous, so I might just go with a square setup using the front sizes on the rear... haha

upload_2022-2-19_8-59-3.png

upload_2022-2-19_8-59-35.png

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Those wheels are really cool. I dunno if I’d paint them all one color though.

Still haven’t mounted tires on them yet but I have some Jeep turbines that I was debating what to do with - in the end I polished up the alloy a bit and added color to accent the wheel features. I’d probably do the same with those - something like black backside and the holes; on the recessed parts maybe a dark gray or blue since you want to use blue; the rest just gets cleaned up and polished out. I may end up with an all terrain tire on them (Yokohama geolandar is the smallest I could find in 15”)

Coincidentally I’ve been wanting to do similar striping on my truck. I have a red patina’d tailgate so I’m thinking of keeping that and using the Ivan Stuart white truck with yellow orange red stripes, where you have them in your pic2 rendering

mike1305 likes this.
  3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Dont do all black wheels. Theyre hard to notice

mike1305 likes this.
  4. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
  5. mike1305

mike1305 Newbie

Truck:
    82 SR5 2WD 5MT
    Totally agree. wondering if I should integrate some blue on the lips, or just do part black (like the flat parts) and leave the holes silver... I do have a 5th spare handy, maybe I'll mess around with that once I'm moved into my new house in a few weeks!

6. mike1305

mike1305 Newbie

Truck:
    82 SR5 2WD 5MT
    How the wheels look OEM on a 79 Aspen:
    [​IMG]

My bad photoshop:

upload_2022-2-22_13-57-39.png

Seems like a bit much. haha. I might go with my original plan to just get some Soft-8 style steelies and sell these on a Aspen/Volaire forum. Or keep them as an extra set for... something?

Attached Files:

7. mike1305

mike1305 Newbie

Truck:
    82 SR5 2WD 5MT
    The Ivan Stewart colors were my original plan! See my signature :) I started gravitating towards the blue because the original interior is all blue. I got blue spark plug wires, and began to like the idea of a blue engine bay too. So many options lol.

8. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    There is a blue stripe theme similar to the Ivan Stewart aesthetic, maybe that would interest you.

Photoshopped wheel pic - I like the darkened recesses, but that blue stripe sticks out waaay too much to me. Perhaps in different shades it might look good, like a dark blue

9. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    I'd black out the 'flat' spots and blue accent the 'spokes'..lol.. if that makes any sense..lmao

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    That photoshop doesnt look bad minus the blue stripe.

11. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Soft 8 is very similar to the aluminum slotted wheels of the 70’s. If you go with that style I would definitely look at adding the brake dust shields painted with a nice contrasting paint scheme.
    You can photoshop the look by filling in the holes on the soft 8’s with different color paint.
    I’m not trying to sell you this idea. Just an option to think about.

12. mike1305

mike1305 Newbie

Truck:
    82 SR5 2WD 5MT
    Soft 8's are actually on my list, if repurposing these wheels doesn't work out. I honestly think they are a bit too complicated. Maybe I'll just keep em as an extra set and go with the soft 8's (or equivalent). I can't seem to find soft 8's with the dimensions I want. Cheers!!!

13. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux