White smoke coming from one exhaust manifold tube

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Tempura670, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Tempura670

Tempura670 Member

I removed the AC system. I just started unbolting stuff and removed the lines, condenser, smog pump, and compressor. I just snipped the belt.

There are three bolts that hold the Compressor bracket that pass through the Timing cover and water pump into the block. I did not put them back in and drove a couple feet back under my garage. Heard dripping.

went to get shorter m12 and m8 bolts to plug it up. stops leaking.

couple weeks later I go to start my truck. I notice white smoke from headers after a couple seconds and shut it off. I smell a stinky burned smell. (I have never smelled unburned fuel before) But I think that is what it is.

What does unburned fuel smell like?

I have brand new spark plugs and lines

I do know that a rat comes into my truck every once in a while

And we did adjust the distributor timing before

2. Tempura670

Tempura670 Member

3. Tempura670

Tempura670 Member

4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Sounds like a dead cylinder at idle. Unburnt fuel smells alot like regular gas. You could have valve seals leaking and dumbing oil into the cylinder after it sits for a while. What color is the smoke?

5. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    White smoke usually means you’re getting moisture into the combustion chamber. Head gasket is the first thing that comes to mind.
    Check your coolant for any oil contamination, pull the dipstick with the engine hot and let a drop of oil fall onto the hot exhaust header. It should only “smoke”. If it “sizzles” you have water mixed with the oil. Hope it’s something more simple. Good luck

Erwin Merida likes this.
  6. Tempura670

Tempura670 Member

Fred heath I will try that method! My oil doesn't look milky but it does look more liquidy than I remember. It has new oil and has been sitting for a while.

Or it could be a cracked header maybe. I have a new header gasket and I might as well order new studs.

Will work on it when I have time.

7. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Exhaust leaks, whether bad exhaust manifold gasket or cracked header, usually makes a loud ticking sound like a rod knocking or a diesel engine. I think Fred Heath is right; steam in the exhaust sounds like blown or leaking head gasket...

8. Tempura670

Tempura670 Member

Update the white smoke is gone

I low key be wish I had a stock cam and quiet exhaust. My truck is straight pipe under the cabin

it’s cool at first but after a while it gets tiring. Guess I’m getting old.

9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    How much smoke came out? Was it any different then any other car during start up that day. Was it pretty cold then? Do you know what coolant smells like? Because it doesn't smell good.

10. Tempura670

Tempura670 Member

I was supposed to take off the header to change the header gasket. Sprayed it down with wd40 a couple days ago.

started the car and there was a lot of smoke coming from all four tubes

after 4 minutes the smoke from the #3 and #4 header went away. After the 6 minute the smoke from #1&2 header went away.

How do I check for a dead cylinder?

Are ignition wires supposed to be hot?

how do I tune my stock 22r carb?

11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Pulling plug wires and listening for a change in how it runs is an easy way to tell if you have any dead cylinders. If it doesn't change with a pulled wire it's dead. The wires should not be hot. It's pulling to many amps and the fuse may be bypassed or replaced with one to big. You can find the 22r service manual online for free. It should go over your carb tuning.

Tempura670 likes this.