Lost Power after truck stalled

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by HiLuxDreams, Nov 21, 2021.

1. HiLuxDreams

HiLuxDreams Member

Truck:
    91 Hilux 22RE
    Truck stalled when I tried to start it because I didn't know it was in gear. (Kids were playing in the truck the night before). Now I don't get power to my truck besides the dome light but when I try to start it everything cuts out. No clicks. Just dead when I turn the key. Any help is appreciated.

91 Toyota pickup 22re

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  2. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Take a voltage reading at the battery first thing, if not 12.5-13.5 put a charger on it!

Perkolator and HiLuxDreams like this.
  3. HiLuxDreams

HiLuxDreams Member

Truck:
    91 Hilux 22RE
    Tried jumping the battery and no luck. I'll will check voltage after work today, thank you.

4. HiLuxDreams

HiLuxDreams Member

Truck:
    91 Hilux 22RE
    Got the correct volts

5. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I can't remember if we can start our trucks without the clutch pedal being pressed at all (triggering the switch) -- so if kids were messing around in the truck, perhaps they tinkered with something to do with that circuit -- like under the dash at the clutch pedal as well as the clutch start cancel button. Good luck.

6. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Check battery connections to see if they're clean and tight? Chassis ground clean and tight? Battery cable to starter lug? Starting the vehicle in gear will cause a greater than normal current draw and the items mentioned can be an issue with higher current draw. Another thing to check is the "L" connecstors and plunger in the starter's solenoid.
    One other thing that it could be is ther start relay just chose that time to call it quits.
    Good luck

HiLuxDreams likes this.
  7. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Sounds like loose battery cables to me.. can't jump it with loose battery cables. I doubt they kicked the under dash fuse box THAT hard to break a circuit.lol

HiLuxDreams likes this.
  8. HiLuxDreams

HiLuxDreams Member

Truck:
    91 Hilux 22RE
    I cleaned battery posts, cleaned terminals, and tightened the bolts but still not starting. I can occasionally get dash lights but as soon as I turn the key to start the truck everything loses power. I'm really at a loss I'm not sure what the issue is but I know I miss driving my truck :(

9. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Are you sure the last thing that happened was the kids playing around in the truck? Have you tried the starter relay? Have you checked all other ground wires not including the battery one..did some one try breaking into your truck and break the key cylinder? Ate you sure you don't have a dead battery?!?

HiLuxDreams likes this.
  10. HiLuxDreams

HiLuxDreams Member

Truck:
    91 Hilux 22RE
    Yes, last thing that happened was the kids playing and putting my truck into gear. I stalled it the next morning and then it wouldn't start after that. I tested the voltage on my battery and also tried the battery from another vehicle. Still no luck. I have yet to try and test the starter relay. To be honest, I'm not sure how to test it with a multimeter. My father in law said I need a separate battery to test it? Not sure how valid that is...

Oh and yes I checked all the grounds and everything is secure and where it was when the truck was running.

Btw I appreciate all the help in brainstorming this issue with my truck. Hopefully I'll get her back on the road soon

11. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    There is a fusible link or a fuse near the positive battery terminal, that would be the first thing I would look at, if it has a fusible link you cant tell by looking at it if its open circuit, I would suggest you learn how to use a multimeter or at least a test light, they are cheap and it's a very useful skill to have.
    fusible link
    [​IMG]
    The fuses you want to look at and test are the large pink and green ones you can see the one that is circled someone has ripped the cover off. Some of those large fuses unbolt from the underside of the fuse box.
    Saying that your wiring may be different as Hilux in different areas have differences, I move from NZ to Australia and the wiring is different as the NZ models had Japanese wiring looms and the Australian version has a loom that was made in Australia
    [​IMG]

Erwin Merida and HiLuxDreams like this.
  12. HiLuxDreams

HiLuxDreams Member

Truck:
    91 Hilux 22RE
    Thank you so much. I will try this as soon as I have a free day. Really appreciate the pictures along with the guidance

13. Toyotashack

Toyotashack Enthusiast

Truck:
    77 hilux 92 2wd 89&90 runners
    Check all fuses. I'm sure you have already but yeah....I've had an ignition switch do similar things to me. Have power sometimes with key on but then go to start it and nothing. Then starting once in awhile and make me think it's a starter relay. Replaced it twice. Checked fuses 100 times. Put 3 different starters in. A new battery. It was sporadic. So if you truck starts all of a sudden and you did nothing. Try the ignition switch. Like $20

HiLuxDreams likes this.
  14. HiLuxDreams

HiLuxDreams Member

Truck:
    91 Hilux 22RE
    So ended up cleaning the battery terminals for the third time and then resecured the ground on the fender wall with a new bolt and my truck started up. Not sure sure which of the two fixed my issue but I'm glad it got figured out before I started taking apart more components. Thank you everyone for the help! Much appreciated :headbang:

Erwin Merida likes this.
  15. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    On these older vehicles electrial connections become dirty, corroded and loose. Some of the issues are from wires being broken in the insulation, motly at the terminal connection. Most people don't realize how important a good electrical path is, especially with electronics.

Yours is at the point where it needs a good going over. My '89 needs it too I'm sure. A day with your favorite beverage and tunes, maybe a couple of friends and go at it.