New and looking for some opinions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by rouxel, Oct 1, 2021.

1. rouxel

rouxel Newbie

Hey,

Quick backstory. Im no stranger to toyota and looking forward to my next build. Iv probly owned 20 toyotas over the years (7 supra's, aristo, cresta, crown majesta, 4runner, land cruiser, 87 pickup with 1jzgte with working 4x4, currently own a 86 pickup with factroy 22rte and then a few less fun toyotas.)

I have always been involed with my projects but i have never really fully built my own. I am a industrial mechanic by trade so im fairly handy but i am no automotive mechanic.

What i would like opinions and help with is my next project that i would like to be a much bigger part of. Im dead set on a "toyota mini" but thats about it. lol I dont know what year yet or even exactly how I want to build it.

I have $30,000-35,000 set aside for the build. I also have a fully rebuilt and beefed up 22-rte for the mini. I dont care so much for the looks as i do the performance. Im looking for a everyday'ish type of mini. So nothing to aggressive but would like it to be pretty quick and nimble.

Here is what i would like opinions on:

1. What years are the easiest to find parts for/work on? I was thinking i would like a 1970-83 model and was wondering what my best option would be.

2. Should i swap out the rear suspension for IRS? Pros and cons?

3. What gearing in the Diff should I go with?

Once i figure out which route im going to go ill get to work on finding a old pickup and get to work. Ill start a project thread because ill will most definitely need help along the way. I what to do a Frame up build.

Thanks

Erwin Merida likes this.
  2. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Welcome. 1. The older the truck, the harder it is to find parts. 2. IRS is really cool and functional for autoX, track days and even touge in the hills, but for daily driving to and from work I think it's overkill (labor) 3. Gearing will always depend on main goal for the truck, for instance highway driving vs drag etc... Tho, if you stick to running the 22RTE you will want to stay on the shorter side to get decent acceleration and pick a transmission with a bit taller gears, again this all matter on the intended use of the truck..

Note: for the earlier gen trucks, it is possible to find parts. Most likely on the other side of the globe and and months in between delivery, but you can. Your best bet is to search far and wide to find a good platform that you don't spend too much on restoring and more on fun/go-fast parts. Also, on earlier trucks that are narrower and a bit shorter, it will be more difficult to do an IRS swap from a mustang/s13 so keep that in mind if you really want to go that route.

3. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    One thing you might want to consider is the older trucks have a smaller cab, If you are tall or large you might want to see if you can fit comfortably in an older truck. Also the gen 3 79-83, it easy to swap top newer 93- front end which frees up options for better brakes, drop spindles, etc. The diff and springs are also a straight swap, so many of the parts can be replaced with newer more plentiful parts. My 1980 lux in the picture on the left has all over the above parts swapped for 1995 parts It all bolted in apart from the drive shaft which was easy enough to drill 4 new holes in the drive flange on the diff. The 1980 drives much better as the suspension and brake are quite the upgrade.

4. rouxel

rouxel Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. I will take all that into consideration. This truck will be a weekend warrior. Not a daily. I would love something quite low with small rims. maybe something similar to this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...d=0CA0Q3YkBahcKEwiw-ayhy7PzAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQAw

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...d=0CA0Q3YkBahcKEwiw-ayhy7PzAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQCQ

I also may go a bit more of the rat rod route and build my own box or front end.

Im really excited to start tho.

What Transmission would you recommend? I want to start searching as i will be rebuilding it before I put it in.