Failed smog ;D

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by sirdeuce, Aug 30, 2021.

1. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    So, I knew it was coming, failed smog test here in Cali. Didn't think it woud go to gross polluter status. Oh well. Had a lot of O2 left in the mix so the cat is most likely the culprit.

NO worries! Now I have an excuse to do a tad bit of work. LC headers, exhaust and intake, all C.A.R.B E.O.ed! Just have to wait for a cat and get this done. Probably do the injector upgrade I've been planning as well.

Anybody else install the 4 hole injectors?

Sad thing is the timing, I have surgery scheduled on the 17th of September on my shoulder. Gotta get this done next week!

2. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    who makes the 4 hole? I'd trust any single hole sprayer that has been sonically cleaned from a reputable supplier over an eBay 4 hole any day.

With luck sourcing parts these days, I'm finding 4-6 week waits on a lot of things. Good luck finding what you need, and good luck under the knife.

3. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    These injectors are original Bosch 0 280 150 973 208cc injectors.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  4. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    LC Engineering, I run their stage 1 engine with all the extras.

5. Kane

Kane Newbie

I need the pair air injection system for my truck to pass the visual inspection where can I find the smog pair system?

6. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    I hate smog checks.. the real reason I want to move out of CA.

7. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    The smog program is a good idea, to keep the air clean, but it's executed poorly. Testing biannually helps people to be informed of their vehicles condition. The whole Schmogzstaffel way of doing things is wrong. They really haven't gotten the whole thing down yet. In the '60s it was one issue, the '70s another. They reduced one byproduct by tuning engines to be very inefficient, which caused another issue. then the tune went in another direction that caused other issues, blah blah. Mind you, the whole effort did finally clean the air, but now it's another issue.

Don't know how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember the air being brown and the burn in the lungs all day. The air is not worse than it's ever been. CO2 may be on the rise and be worse than it's been in "recorded history", which isn't very long. Having high CO2, one constituent of industrial emissions, doesn't constitute the over-all atmosphere to be "worse than ever!".

Uhoh, there I go. Just one of my windmills.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  8. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Started the thread to be a look into how minor mods can be clean and effecient.

9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Enforcing compliance on owners is dumb. One of the reasons Washington state got ride of emissions testing was the fact that automakers have done their part. I don't think that will happen in California until the big push for electric vehicles. That could be not to far off though. The homie told me he will not be able to make deliveries to Cali after next year or sometime soon without the ev.

I'm really surprised Cali has a cut off date instead of time span like 25 years or something. Just for the fact that maintaining or replacing older parts can be hard. Not like if the laws changed slightly you will see a ton more heavy polluters. Most people will still be driving a car from the last 25 years.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  10. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    I believe I covered that, enforcement. The biannual testing is good for maintenance, lets the owner know how the equipment is working. If you don't test it people will just drive until it falls off. Most people on the road don't know anything about their vehicles, or even care until something goes wrong. Even when something goes wrong these idiots are very reluctant to do any repairs.

We should have annual "safety" checks. Some people keep right on driving when the CE light comes on, they wait until the engine dies before they do anyting. That would help keep the cars safer for everybody. It makes me real nervous hearing metal on metal grinding noises coming from the same car on the highway for a month. Yeah, a neighbor that leaves at the same time I do and goes to the same exit and four lights after. If you can afford a BMW you can afford to keep it up.

It's also the reason I believe EVERYBODY should have a general knowlege of what is going on with their vehicle. Not just know where to put the gas when that little light comes on.

So the smog program does do good for what it was designed for, just poorly designed and executed.

11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The thing is the cars in the last 25 years have had more maintenance then the cars from the last 50. People that buy new cars are holding onto them longer and doing the regular and little maintenance on things that everyone would let break before. You got a few clueless people but a lot of people valve having transportation and will keep up as much as they can. Some people need to eat the cost of negligence before they can realize they need to do regular maintenance. Natural selection. Keep the Government out of are daily lives.

I'm so glad Washington woke up. Or I wouldn't be able to get my 6 speed 01 is300 without doing some bs to get rid of the cel for the old automatic transmission. Now I can get a standalone ecu if I want. Also if someone ever steels my cats instead of replacing them I'm buying a standalone and welding in a pipe. The price difference won't be much. Good times up here in Washington. Air still clean and its not like anymore beaters are on the road then before. You can actually own your car.

12. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    I think Sir Deuce was looking for advice on his truck, not a buncha rants about CARB regulations

Erwin Merida likes this.
  13. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    One of the reasons forums are dead is because nobody wants to have any form of discussion much anymore.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  14. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Rants are good! My thing is to get the parts on my truck, get it texted and then go over the good and bad of it. Sad thing is the time it took to get the cat and the price. Things are going to be a bit slow on my part as well, left shoulder is bad so I'm doing the job with one arm. Good news on the shoulder though! Surgery this Friday! Might get the cat and the exhaust on this week though, took two days to get the headers on.

15. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Man, I hate that I put this thread in the wrong place!

LC headears and exhaust and Magnaflow cat.
    So, got the headers in, good fit 'til they got around the fram rails and torsion bars, but not much space there anyway. The pipe from the header collector was as tight, but it was what it needed to be. I didn't like the idea of U-bolt clams as a means to hold my exhaust together, so I had it welded.
    The Magnaflow cat was no where near being a direct fit. The stock cat was 12 1/2" and the "direct fit" was 17" long. The 2 bolt flanges on the cat were a bit small for the gaskets to seal properly. Had th flanges changed.
    The cat back exhaust didn't give much flexibility. Again, U-bolts.....
    The coating, be it paint or ceramic, was less than expected. If it was supposed to be ceramic, it wasn't. If it was VHT paint it wasn't cured and came off easily.

Overall I liked the headers, they look good and had a decent fit. Bolting these up to the head anda air injection manifold fit perfectly with no interference from the welds to the bolts. Don't use the U-bolts, weld the joints. Have the cat back done by a good shop with mandrel bent pipe.
    The Magnaflow cat was the greatest disappointment with absolutely no fit. The cannister has such a thin wall a decent size rock on the highway might puncture it. For the amount of money I paid for the cat it shoud have been perfect, but I had to pay to have it fit up properly. Go with the universal if you can.

I'll see about getting it smogged in a week or two.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  16. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Nice. Would love to see the ending results!

I'm also using clamps, for the time being but will weld once I fully mock the exhaust. Haven't had the block in the truck to finalize everything so clamps it is! I opted for a Amazon high flow cat but learning that I might regret not going with the manga flo due to CARB

17. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    T magnaflow looks to be a high flow cat, but 1 7/8" O.D. into a big cat just kills it. Need to stretch the cat ppipes or cut them out and weld up the right size pipe. I was told Walker was a better choice, both in cost and size, but I have no cat to compare.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  18. BatryOpratedBoy

BatryOpratedBoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    Brave Little Toaster (Diana) and Salsa Verde (Traction Control)
    So how did the surgery go and how is the truck doing?

19. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Truck still needs to be smogged, maybe another week or so.

Surgery recovery is wierd! Pain is not an issue, doesn't hurt. The was to describe it is 'moderate discomfort'. But hey, if I can get back to it after all of it then it's a good thing.

Thanks for asking.