Coolant preference?

Discussion in '1976-1983 Pickup Discussion' started by l2ewind, Aug 24, 2021.

1. l2ewind

l2ewind Member

Truck:
    1977 Hilux
    Hey guys...summer time and my pickup was running a bit hotter than usual. Looked in my rad and it was full of beautiful green/redish coolant. I figured I had a rust issue somewhere, removed my head and bam..water jackets were blocked with rust. I have only ever run coolant/antifreeze since taking ownership of it (the green stuff) not knowing if a previous owner ran tap water only. Is there a recommended or preferred coolant you guys run?

JC

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I just run whatever they have at the parts store. Aslong as there is coolant in it we're good.
    Should check and make sure your fan is working. Timing and fuel mix can make it run hot too

3. l2ewind

l2ewind Member

Truck:
    1977 Hilux
    thank you jetas!

4. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Just a word of caution. Be careful of "just whatever". From what I've read, don't mix the GM Dexcool with other coolants. The combination turns into a jelly. So I've heard...

5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    They say you should get the Asian automaker coolant because of the formula doing better with cooling of Asian engines. I think it has to do with the mixing of the metals. From everything I read distilled water is the best all around for heat transfer with water wetter. If you need a little freeze protection you add alcohol. I've been running universal 50/50 with the 22r. Asian coolant in my car. Making the switch to Asian in the 22r on the next flush. It clots of helping seal things up and is easy to spot leaks.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  6. l2ewind

l2ewind Member

Truck:
    1977 Hilux
    We need the freeze protection up here in NoCo. last two winters its been under -0 for 3 weeks in the winter.

7. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    If freezing is not a concern water with a corrosion inhibiter is acually best. Antifreeze with a max of 50% mix, pink or green, I use the pink stuff.
    First things first, get the rust cleaned out. Try one of those cleaning solvents and follow the directions. Be sure to open the heater circuit and do several rinses to ensure the chemical is washed out.

8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    For total peace of mind you can get the toyota coolant. It will be more then any off the shelve coolant but it will be free of any ingredients they say you don't want.