1991 Drift build/setup!

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by I-OGarage47, Jun 19, 2021.

1. I-OGarage47

I-OGarage47 Newbie

Hows it going guys! been scavenging the site for almost 3 years now, and barely made an account a while back. Figured id share my truck with you guys. its a 91 single cab, short bed 5 speed, bought it off an older gentleman a few years back who used it as a truck to haul to flea markets (veggies and asian items).

after a few months of owning it, i decided to crank the torsions and throw some 4 inch blocks in the rear. that lasted for a total of 4 months before i just couldnt handle the way it rode. after some digging through the interwebz, i decided to pull the trigger on a drop spindle/drop leaf setup, paired with a ball joint flip and some new shocks.

fast forward to now, its currently sitting on streetedge front and rear drop spindles/leafs, kyb shocks front and rear (fronts are 344265, rears are 343144) energy suspension sway bar endlinks/bushings, r1 concepts drilled and slotted rotors, new drum and brake in the rear, brand new steering linkages (pitman arm all the way to tie rods) new ball joints all around, plate welded differential, 85 celica gt seats, e36 center console, nrg detachable steering wheel, relocated battery to cabin (behind passenger seat), 85 celica gt air box (goes in place of the battery, ditches the long snorkel of an intake), and brand new driveshaft with u joints. [​IMG]

got a few mods in the works for it, currently finishing up a 5mge afm swap, hydro ebrake install, full stainless exhaust with ebay header (i refinished the tig welds and deleted the primary o2 bung, checked mating surface and ensured its nice and flat) poly engine mounts, traction bars, currently working on retrofitting a sway bar off a super common truck to use with ours, and a few others id rather show once finished instead of talk about.

let me know what you guys think!

2. I-OGarage47

I-OGarage47 Newbie

sorry about that, i thought the first link i used posted.

[​IMG]

Shea likes this.
  3. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    What lower valance is that off of? Oh wait that's a whole bumper.

4. I-OGarage47

I-OGarage47 Newbie

yessir! from an e36 m3, non m bumpers also fit great!

Erwin Merida likes this.
  5. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
  6. I-OGarage47

I-OGarage47 Newbie

7. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    One of the parts I've picked out for my truck is the belltech SP444 kit. Do you have and experience with the street performer shocks vs the nitro drop?

8. I-OGarage47

I-OGarage47 Newbie

never got a chance to run the performer shocks unfortunately. i told myself i wouldnt spend TOO much on the front since im eventually going mk3 spindle with coilovers. from what ive found online is that the performers have a bit more dampening and help stiffen up, as opposed to the nitros which to me theyre more of a "comfort" shock.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  9. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    ThanKS for the input. What made you go with the street edge setup over anything else? Availability or performance?

10. I-OGarage47

I-OGarage47 Newbie

hey man, sorry i didnt get a notification for this. but i went with street edge do to the fact that after all the reviews i read, it seems like streetedge and belltech are SUPER similar in terms of quality and streetability, with a cheaper price point, and also AT THE TIME, no backorder. if i could start all over again, i would still go the streetedge route. As of now tho, im putting parts together to do a mk3 spindle swap so im gonna ditch the drop spindle

Erwin Merida likes this.
  11. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Nice! No back order always ftw! Lol. Definitely interested in seeing your spindle swap done. That sounds more reliable and coil over friendly!

12. I-OGarage47

I-OGarage47 Newbie

yeah im really torn in between converting over to mcpherson or staying a arm. i guess the biggest thing stopping me is building turrets for the strut to mount up to as opposed to just installing a new shock mount for the coilover and modifying the upper/lower arms. ive also been looking at IS300 suspension setups and seeing just how feasible it would be to retrofit it onto our trucks.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  13. yotaman95

yotaman95 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1995 single cab
    If you are looking to convert your Front end look up Stabfab.com he has come up with bolt in coil over kit for 85-95 year trucks. I love mine! Give him a look.