Jammed Door Locks

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Tyler Moya, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Tyler Moya

Tyler Moya Newbie

Truck:
    1976 Hilux Shorty
    I have a 1976 short bed and both side door locks are “locked/jammed”. the key fits in the slot but does not turn. when i close doors they unlock the lock mechanism so i keep the pass side locked and cannot lock the driver side. idk if i should get locks on eBay, under the assumption if i got new locks my door key would differ from the ignition key. Which I really don’t want. i sprayed WD40 in the lock and tried to loosen it with the key, to no avail.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    You have to lift the outside door handle “up” when you close the door if you want the door to stay locked. If your key doesn’t turn the lock (try with door open first) you want to get that fixed BEFORE you lock the door as explained above.
    Pull your inside door panel and check the linkage attached to the lock cylinder. See if it’s binding up or maybe just needs to be lubricated. Work it manually by hand to see if you can get it to function. Lock and unlock the door using the lock button, then try your key.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Sounds like...

1. The key doesnt work for the lock cylinders.(tip: the driver side cylinder has a code that will help the locksmith make new keys easier)

2. You need to hold the outer handle in the pulled position as you close it with the lock engaged. Try it with the window open. If you dont hold the handle open it will unlock the door.