Diesel Engine Swap Compatibility Question

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Wayward Boatman, Jun 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Wayward Boatman

Wayward Boatman Newbie

I am the new owner of a 1983 Toyota Pickup 2WD, DLX, LN40, L Diesel (2.2), w/ 5-Speed Standard Transmission. It appears the current engine will need a major overhaul. It has bad compression in one cylinder, injector pump needs replacement, head gasket leaks, etc. The technician I am working with indicates he can purchase and import a new engine for replacement (but he's not sure about compatibility with different models). I am considering taking advantage of this opportunity to upgrade to a later model, like a 2L, 2L-II, 2LT, etc . (My tech has warned of compatibility issues with a 2LTE).

My question is: would any one, or all, of the above engines make for a simple and easy swap?

Any guidance or suggestions will be appreciated.

2. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    I've got the same model, they are a straight bolt-in but, depends on what your import engine came out of. You will likely have to change the sump and oil pickup. Some have the intake in a different place and if it's a turbo the exhaust will have to be changed too. the 2LTE has an electronic pump, but you will be able to change it to a mechanical pump quite easly. The only other issue you may run into is the alternator may be different and the glow plugs are a different voltage.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  3. Wayward Boatman

Wayward Boatman Newbie

This is very good and useful information. Thank you.

4. Wayward Boatman

Wayward Boatman Newbie

I posted this thread on four different forums (two places on one forum). I’ve received a few responses. Folks concur that any one of the later models (even up to a 5L) should swap in easily. The truck was engineered for an L. I don’t think it wise to push the power beyond the original engineering too far. I think I’ll steer clear of turbo options. A couple folks lit upon the 2LTE (negatively) ---even though I expressed I don’t want that one. One reason I love this little rig is it is all analogue and manual. Simple. ---Nothing automatic, and no computerized components.

I drove an ’83 Toyota F60 Cruiser (petrol) for 25 years before she finally buckled underneath me (although I believe it is still trundling around in the forests of Mendicino County). I swore next time around I’d do it right with a diesel ---just makes sense.

I’m going to proceed and start shopping for a 3L.

I just wish somebody would post and confirm they’d actually done the swap or seen it done first hand.

Thanks for any input.

5. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Toyota 20/22R and the 4 banger diesels are a simple swap, engines anyway. If you want an awesome diesel, and don't mind a bit of work and money, Cummins has a 4 cylinder available.

I'm a petrolhead, but I have considered that Cummins for my 4X4.

6. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    I just wish somebody would post and confirm they’d actually done the swap or seen it done first hand.

Thanks for any input.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I've done that conversion but on a 93 Hilux, I pulled out the 22R engine and put a 5LE 3L into it. If you have all the parts required it is a straight bolt in.
    I also own a 1980 Hilux with a factory L engine which is a 2.2L that's it in the picture with the funky headlights.

7. Wayward Boatman

Wayward Boatman Newbie

Thank you Liquidhandwash.