Fix to my long time starting issue 1990 Pickup

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Broot, May 17, 2021.

1. Broot

Broot Newbie

Since I first bought my truck it would just randomly not want to start and after 2 years,3 starters a bunch of rewiring and pulling my hair out, the previous owner even told me he had thrown a bunch of money trying to fix it with no prevail here's what I've come up with.

The issue
    randomly out of the blue the truck would just click the starter when going to start it, and you could go up and tap the starter to get it going like it had a bad starter but obviously that wasn't the case. I even ended up putting a toyota forklift starter in it which fixed the issue for a few months then it came back. Eventually I summed the issue up to too much resistance in the harness causing not enough voltage to get to the starter. the previous owner must have spliced into every wire in the harness 5 times for the multiple renditions of the stereo system(s) and alarm system(s), plus age, heat, and being lowered for 30 years probably didn't help.

Fix
    So what I ended up doing was adding a starter solenoid from a 1985 Mustang, wiring the ignition signal to that and putting direct power from the battery and bam here I am a year later and the truck has not had a starting issue since.

p.s. fun fact Toyota forklift oil filters and starters are direct fits onto the 22re LOL

Erwin Merida likes this.
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Shit had you asked sooner one of us wouldve recommended that fix. I set mine up that way when i rewired my truck and havent had an issue even with the old ass starter thats in it (knock on wood)

Broot likes this.
  3. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    I'll definitely keep this in mind if I start seeing issues with mines.

Broot likes this.