20R / 22R : electronic ignition conversion

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by SJrat666, Dec 10, 2015.

1. SJrat666

SJrat666 Newbie

alright, heres how its goin down

'76 yota / stock 20r

im approaching the finish line on my early model 22r ( 20 over / nothing fancy ) that im building to swap into it and its essentially time for me to cross a a certain bridge

ignition

as we know, 76 came with points ignition. which is fun n stuff n cute but lets be real here... electronic ignition is where its at. so ive done a bunch of forum hunting and searching and ive come to a couple different routes i could take.

1. pertronix ignition conversion. except i cant find a flippin part number or anything for this. people say it exists but maybe im missin it?

2. 22r distributor with the GM ignition conversion. some dude said it adds performance. i like that its cheap as poop but also it seems like it leads into some weird problem like the modules failing cause of heat and yeah.

3. complete 20r / 22r electronic ignition set up. this is probably the best but also the most costly. (still aint much though ). distributor /coil / igniter.

thoughts?

ALSO.
    im super stumped on if i were to go route #3.. what 20r / 22r distributor would i need. like would a late model like 85 or so be fine? or would i need a earlier one like 79 or so? which leads into the same question for the igniter / coil. and finally could i cross a late model distributor with a earlier model igniter / coil? vice versa?

am i makin sense?

cause ive done a good bit of ebay hunting so far and it seems like there isnt really one type of 20r / 22r distributor/ igniter/ coil... a couple diff ive seen. assuming that like the 85+ n so on are way different to begin with.

thanks guys
    if yall can shed some light, itd be rad

wordddd

Attached Files:

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Go to the junkyard and pull the dizzy and ignitor from the same truck. That way you jnow it works together. And just purchase a nee coil for that year/model

I personally tried the 20R with the GM HEI module and it wouldnt work. I have no experience with the pertronix piece so no comment.

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I run hei modules in all of my carb'd trucks with no issues. I like that setup for sure.

If you want to go with factory electronic ignition that's easy too. Pick an era, say 79-88 ish should be the same plugs for the ignitor and 89-95 is also. The distributor plug is the same on all 79+ electronic distributors so pick whichever one you want and get a factory coil/ignitor to match.

Either way you go you'll need a 20/22r electronic distributor.

4. Erick561

Erick561 Veteran

I ship from New London County CT I Price Match
    Truck:
    79 Toyota Hilux 4WD WHEELING DAILY DRIVER
    I have systems let me know what you need and what plug

5. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater

I had to quote myself to fix my error. All carbureted engines have the same distributor plug. They just changed from green to grey as seen in this pic from my build thread where I used a 80's harness hooked to my 89 distributor.

[​IMG]

6. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    DUI makes a complete distributer/ignition system utilizing the GM HEI modual.
    Each one is custom made for your application.
    Does away with ignitor/coil and factory distributor.
    It's pricy, but eliminates lots of problems.

7. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    100% worth it IMO. I had one with their Livewires and it was like night and day from the stock points dizzy. Way quicker throttle response, easier/faster starts and gave a slight mpg increase (about 2-3 on highway)

8. 76Greenmachine

76Greenmachine Newbie

Hey guys, I’m looking into the dui distributer/ignition system for my 76 pickup sr5. Everything is completely stock right now (including smog). Will I have any issues if I get a distributer without vacuum advance and just plug off that vacuum line? Thanks!

9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Street rigs need it more then anything. It helps with on and off throttle response and effectively. Rigs tend to run hotter without it cruising. The only time you'll look at getting rid of it is with weber dcoe's.

10. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Erwin Merida likes this.
  11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Pertronix has a unit similar to that Accuspark piece for about $100 if youre in the states

Erwin Merida likes this.