1. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    :bowdown:

Now that just lifted the bar on the ingenuity scale! Hahah and saved you about 15 labor hours!

2. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Yeah, i did the mental maths and figured that a rod jounal on the crank will dip lower than than the axis of the mains. That means that even an undersized wooden rod along the main axis wouldn't put the pistons anywhere as low as the bottom of their stroke.

The trans is dropped and pushed back a few inches. That is enough to get a couple hands and/or wrench in to remove the flexplate and rear main seal housing.

Popping the crankshaft back in will just be a 50lb bench press now.

3. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Hoping the worst is behind you! That thing needs to get some psi running through it's veins! Haha

4. Justin Danger

Truck:
    New hood prop

20210411_105926.jpg

Also got the crank back in before work this morning. Setting the bushings was a bit odd fighting gravity, but some sticky ol assembly lube seemed to hold things in place alright. Now everything is torqued down and spinning nicely.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  5. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Nice touch on the grill. Adds class! Haha sounds like good progress. Hopefully we can hear her purr soon!

6. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Everything is back together and running!

At first there was a leak from the oil pump. I popped it off, and used some RTV as well as the rubber ring seal to put it back. I also used my old harmonic balancer instead of the replacement because it was a little thicker in the shaft that goes through the front oil seal. That did the trick.

I drove around the block a few times, and then once around the neighhborhood.

My concern right now is that the idle RPMs are quite low, and my idle adjust screw is screwed out pretty darn far.

jetas, Erwin Merida and MrDinkleman like this.
  7. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I adjusted the TB, TPS, and valves this morning. Runs smoothly now, but there is still a dang rattle! When I drive it sounds like it is coming from the passenger's floor near the front (where the starter is?). The noise seems to be no louder cold or warm, ut seems a bit quieter when decelerating.

Driveplate and spacers are in the right order on the back of the driveshaft. Starter shoots out and retracts normally. I even spaced the starter out a lil bit. I checked the bolts on the driceplate, and they arent't rubbing. I am nearing the end of my wits with this one.

8. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Does the noise increase with rpm? Or with higher speed?

9. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Doesn't necessarily get louder, but it's freqiency is directly related to engine RPM.

It sounds just like the videos I previously posted, but not quite as loud.

When I had the trans separated I spun the torque converter in it, and it spun freely with no grabs or friction. The engine cranks by had very smoothly.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Did you ever check the trust bearings. Crank walk?

11. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Yeah, got the crank ground with a matching set of bearings. Clerances are in tolerance (because ya gotta double check work that you don't do yourself...the work i do myself I try to tripple check haha)

12. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I did a few little things here and there that didn't seem to make any difference to the noise.

This afternoon I ran the engine and laid down under the engine. It really sounds like it is coming from the bottom end. I can't pinpoint front or back or whether it is the whole bottom end. I'm really at a loss and might have to find a shop willing to take a look (or listen as it were).

13. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I had a bit of a miss spelling. I ment thrust bearings. The in and out movement. Crank walk can have a knocking sound. If you got yourself a magnetic dial indicator you can check. I wouldn't tap out yet. You'll get it figured out.

14. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    If you don't know this trick and don't have a stethoscope you can use a long handle screw driver to help pinpoint. Not sure you want to run it much longer though.

15. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I've tried the screwdriver trick, and can't seem to pinpoint anything. Places where I couldn't fit a screwdriver I tried to put at least a finger on to see if anything was knocking or grinding in that area.

The good ol' trust bearings! haha, when I got the crank machined it was right after working on my brakes and I accidentally called the main journals my master journals, which the machinist got a good chuckle out of. I figured you meant thrust bearings. I used a shim style feeler gauge, and it was well within spec. Not saying I won't double check at some point! but dropping the pan really isn't the most fun job with so much in it's way. At least I used a gasket instead of sealant this last time to make it easier if I had to pop it off again.

I'm never gonna give up on this thing, it is all just a lesson in patience and problem solving.

Erwin Merida and jetas like this.
  16. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    You should be able to do a quick check by pulling and pushing the pulley without dropping the pan. I wish the made the rubber pan gaskets. When I had to drop the pan I had to get rid of the crank scrapper. I got wreckless. Lol

17. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Oof, yeah! That scraper was hard to get off. I used a putty knife and wooden wedge to get mine off. Its back on and installed with sealant. I sealed it up by installing the oil pan with a cork gasket (like a caul), then removed the pan to turn things over amd check the clearance. Eveything cleared, so i popped the pan back on with the cork gasket again.

Tomorrow morning I will pop off the alternator belt and try pushing and pulling on the pulley to see if there is any give, thanks for the advice!

Pearce likes this.
  18. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    And you were sure the scrapper is clearing everything right? Cuzzz that's at the bottom end..lol Js.

19. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I checked it when I built he engine in my garage, I checked it when I dropped the pan to pull the crank, and I checked it after reinstalling it a couple days ago..... so yeah, pretty sure thats not it.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  20. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Tore open the oil filter and found a buuuuunch of metal. Like more than a worrisome amount.

Guess the engine is coming out again.