Hello Toyota Minis

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by wolfe, Mar 30, 2021.

1. wolfe

wolfe Newbie

Truck:
    1980 LN40 Hilux. Original L motor 2.2L Diesel. Original L40 gearbox (4 speed floor shift)
    Hello,

I am no longer the owner of a Toyota Mini - but there is this 1980 Hilux LN40 beauty in the family. A little rough on the passenger side - apparently the original owner rolled it at his farm... and it could use a fresh round of paint. The rest in in fairly good condition all things considered. It has the original styleside tub, 2wd long wheel base, 2.2l diesel L motor with the L40 4 speed floor shift and bench seat interior. This is my partners mini and she loves it as is, except the desire for a 5th gear has increased with some major hwy driving required between Sydney and Melbourne. I will search the forums for some clues as to how this might be achieved - however I fear that most people ditch the L diesel engine when doing the 5 speed upgrade...
    Anyway, I look forward to searching, learning and growing with the minis crew!

Cheers,

Phoenix

IMG_7332.JPG

Ivey likes this.
  2. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Welcome. We don't see many diesel models but I'm sure some one has experience with them. Keep searching the forums as there's heeps of knowledge and trial and error all over the site broken down in categories. Truck looks great as you can't tell it's been on its side!

wolfe likes this.
  3. wolfe

wolfe Newbie

Truck:
    1980 LN40 Hilux. Original L motor 2.2L Diesel. Original L40 gearbox (4 speed floor shift)
    Thanks for the warm welcome and the tips Erwin! Here is a better view of the front fender that is a bit crumpled... I bought a door off a person on gumtree that I put on the truck to tidy up the overall appearance. I still have the original door, it is almost entirely rust free, but door skin is crushed. For a while there was some car part sellers in Aus that you could buy just the door skin off, but those days are possibly over (for now!). Insert major revival of panels and parts for the early trucks here!! But seriously, if the truck was too tidy it might feel too good to drive?!
    IMG_7354.JPG

4. Ivey

Ivey Veteran

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Hilux
    Looks awesome and welcome! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

wolfe likes this.
  5. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Welcome aboard

wolfe likes this.
  6. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Honestly, without the damaged door, it would've never crossed my mind it was rolled! I also think it's awesome that this will be a couples project. Dnt see that often either. :waytogo:

wolfe likes this.