Where is the flasher relay for 74 trucks?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by THorn, Mar 8, 2021.

1. THorn

THorn Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    Hey friends,

One of my flashers isn't flashing, so I got this doodad to replace it:
    [​IMG]
    Only thing is... I can't see where the dang thing is supposed to go. I can hear the left one ticking when it operates, but I can't find the right side flasher, because it's not operating. Can anyone save me a little time hunting for it?

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Its behind the radio on the inside of the firewall. Looks nothing like that doodad you bought

3. THorn

THorn Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    Yeah, That's where I hear the left one ticking. I'll just have to follow my ears and take stuff apart until I see it.

I think the doodad is a generic 'universal' flasher that I got from the local parts store. It was what popped up in their parts database for this truck. I took a chance because it was only a few $. I don't really expect to find an OEM part easily.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    The OEM one also controls the hazards. You may need to do some rewiring if you cant locate a replacement

5. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    If you hear a “clicking “ and one side is working it’s NOT the relay. Check your wiring and grounds. Your one relay controls both sides.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Perkolator likes this.
  6. THorn

THorn Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    Yes, you’re right. It turned out to be a finicky wiring harness to the front bumper signal. The bad connection was the problem. One flasher controls both turn signals and hazards. In the process, I did connect the generic flasher above, and it’s quite compatible with the 2pin design of the original(although I had to crimp on some 1/4” quick connectors in place of the wiring harness), but I’m keeping the o.e. flasher til it dies.

7. THorn

THorn Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    9769D2C9-B1B1-49B6-885E-E241E84F228D.jpeg C29162E2-6F35-4151-B18C-EE51A4F97563.jpeg
    It’s just a simple EL12 flasher, but it does the job as a spare, since There’s not many of the original ones left. I suspect that it might be possible to make a 3pin flasher work using 2 of the 3pins. Anyone tried it?