1986-87 SR5 Xtra-cab Turbo

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by 1988toyota, Jan 3, 2012.

1. 1988toyota

1988toyota Newbie

am curious as to how rare these trucks are as well as how many were produced approximately. Also any hp and mileage improvement with the turbo and/or potential problems with as well. Found a 1986 sr5 extra-cab turbo for sale locally which looks interesting. All stock, automatic, 20k miles on rebuilt 22r, new paint and factory decals, turbo recaro-style seats. Wish it was a 5-speed though.

2. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    I don't know any production numbers but they are getting rare. Please post some pics when you get a chance. I recently bought some of the Alloy wheels from one for my 88 DLX restoration. Best of luck with it.

22R88

3. CrazyCody93

CrazyCody93 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 Sr5 Xtra cab
    From what i've heard about the turbo trucks, is that mileage goes up, but only a little bit, 1-2 miles to the gallon better. power is way up 135 hp 173 ft. lbs. the only thing i've heard about problem wise, is that the turbo after so many miles goes bad, due to poor design, and it cracks from the outlet of the turbine to the waste gate. other then that i know that they are not easy to come by!

4. 1988toyota

1988toyota Newbie

thanks for replies. I plan to look at the truck sometime this week. Have only spoken to the seller by phone who mentioned the truck has almost 200k miles but only 20k on the rebuilt 22re. Says the turbo is the original unit but he also has a replacement factory turbo as well, so I guess the original was fine for now. I don't recall seeing any turbo sr5 so they either must not have produced too many and/or getting pretty rare. Truck still has the original factory alloys which I like also.

5. 86extTURBO

86extTURBO Veteran

Truck:
    1986 ext cab Turbo
    I have a turbo sr5 and my father has a turbo but its not an sr5

6. 1988toyota

1988toyota Newbie

forgot to mention the truck does not have AC which is a slight disappointment, as I figured it would have. Need to find out also if it at least has power steering and brakes..lol. What options did an sr5 have over a non-sr5?

7. 86extTURBO

86extTURBO Veteran

Truck:
    1986 ext cab Turbo
    Mine has turbo seats ac and they usually come with cruise control, my dad has some regular buckets and no ac no cruise

8. 87 toyota sr5 4x4

87 toyota sr5 4x4 Newbie

87 toyota sr5 turbo 4x4 e/c

Hey guys just baught a 87 sr5 Turbo 4x4 5 speed and need more power to turn the mudders I got on it any ideas????

9. Domer

Domer Member

Truck:
    1985 Toyota 2wd Turbo Xtra cab
    put a 2.5 or 3" exhaust with either no muffler or a straight through, get rid of the cat if you can, put a better flowing intake filter, and a boost controller to turn the boost up. Im at 9lbs right now, factory is 4.5lbs.. you will start hitting fuel cut at about 10lbs of boost..

10. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    GET IT.

That's only because the 22RTE's used a bad CT20 design, you can easily upgrade the turbo to a better one. :)

11. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Domer, are the 22RE and 22RTE ECU's any different?

12. Domer

Domer Member

Truck:
    Yes they are different.. They use some different sensor setups and they have the boost fuel curve built in, they run different injectors so the fuel curves are completely different..
    Also you can't easily swap to a different turbo setup.. the computer and lack of tuning makes it very difficult.. you have to change to a top mount header design unless you want try a ct26... even that is not a bolt in affair... everything has to be changed.. then you still have the crap ass computer to deal with.. go with megasquirt if you plan on changing turbos up.. or if you just want legitimate tuning.. tuning the AFM on these things is a pain in the ass.. it will never be correct...

13. 86extTURBO

86extTURBO Veteran

Truck:
    1986 ext cab Turbo
    Domer do you have a build up or anything on your truck i can look at i have a 22ret and i want to upgrade it and make it run really nice and boost hard. Right now its all stock except for the exhaust and it boosts at around 2000 rpms

14. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Thanks Domer for the experience and info, I'm pretty sure the "primitive" AFM tuning is just hitting and missing (A LOT).

Megasquirt is probably the best way to do a modified 22RTE.

15. Domer

Domer Member

Truck:
    86extturbo, I don't have a build up.. mine was mostly a restore with some trimming of fat and bull****... where in cali are you at?

CinNAMmon, no problem... glad I could help you out... by the way I finally got to drive my truck with the w58... oh my god I love it... so much better than the auto... megasquirt is the most cost effective tuning route for these trucks...

16. 86extTURBO

86extTURBO Veteran

Truck:
    1986 ext cab Turbo
    i live in the bay area out in redwood city. and can you message me the mods youve done to your truck?

17. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Sweet Domer! Glad you went with the W58, it's a nice transmission. I'm running synchromesh oil in it and my friend (04 Mustang GT) drove my truck and thinks it shifts smooth as silk and like a knife through butter. I can't remember, but he likes how smooth the transmission is! That's Toyota for ya!

What's the 22RTE's factory boost pressure?
    Did your intercooler help out (I bet it helped a lot!)

Kirk likes this.
  18. Domer

Domer Member

Truck:
    Factory wastegate is set at 4.5lbs.. im running 9lbs right now.. I don't have it tuned yet, but you can feel the intercooler tube on the hot side its warm and the other side is cold.. plus there isn't any coolant running alongside it anymore..

19. Discus1987

Discus1987 Newbie

I got the 5 speed of one of those. I want to know what mine is worth