1974 Hilux 1uz swap

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by andrewashley98, Jun 21, 2020.

1. andrewashley98

andrewashley98 Newbie

Truck:
    1974 Toyota Hilux
    I have a 1974 Toyota hilux in pretty good condition. Payed $400 for it. Plan is to a 1uz into it. The body on it is really nice, with just surface rust. Frame looks solid, but I'll take the body off to clean it and put new bedliner on it. Only thing the body needs is front passenger fender work, bumper work, and front cowl work. I'll also swap a 75' grill on it. Not sure on paint color yet, but want to lower it and put some nice offset wheels on it.

I recently picked up a 1993 ls400 for $500 to use as a swap car, it has 116k miles on it. I wasn't expecting to get a title with the car, but I did and its in pretty nice shape minus needing some paint. It was missing a few things, so I went to a local pullapart and got what I needed. Ordered a maf off of eBay, so waiting on that before I fire it up. I may end up painting the car cheaply and selling it to make money.

So I have a few questions- is the ls400 going to be an issue having front sump? Also, what are my options for motor mounts? I was seeing that sc400 mounts will work. As far as headers, I was seeing 00'-04' tundra headers are what I need.

If I need to get an sc400 motor, I can buy one but I'd need to sell this car first. If not, I think I'll keep the ls400 if it runs good. Doing a compression test tomorrow, the motor and engine bay is super clean, so I'm hoping for good results.

Back to the hilux- it has factory ac, but it's a weird ac. The compressor is not mounted on the motor, so I'll try to keep that if it even works. Ac would be nice. I know I won't have power steering, so Im not really worried about that. Unless someone knows if I can swap in a rack from a newer Toyota truck. I have a parts 90' truck (v6 3.0L) I could take one off of, which would be really cool. Also, what's my options for brakes? Not alot of info on the older Hilux models so I'm not really aware of what all can be done.

I'll post all updates of the swap on here and maybe make YouTube videos.

Not sure how to add pictures, this is my first forum post. So here's my Google drive-

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1PWuQ9CtkxzvuzZe6BNmzJpTQ5HNNcsgR

2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Sweet bench seat. Personally I would stick to the early grill unless cooling becomes an issue.

andrewashley98 likes this.
  3. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Well....good luck!

andrewashley98 likes this.
  4. Carson

Carson Newbie

Hey if you do end up swapping the 75 grill onto my 74 they are a lot more stylish. let me know I’ve been wanting to do the same but wasn’t sure if it would fit / work out thanks, cool truck best of luck