Proud new owner of a 1974 Hilux!!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by lusitron, Jun 17, 2020.

1. lusitron

lusitron Newbie

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    Hello folks!!!

I'm so excited! I just won an auction on a mess of a 1974 Hilux! Got relatively cheap for what pre-75 cars are going for now, so I have big plans... My son's friend got a 1972 520 we're hosting and helping him with, so the bug bit me, and now I have something to work with my son on.
    It's not running, and it's seems to be mostly all there, but I want to go all out, and create a monster. I've seen some turbo and supercharger kits out there, not specifically for this year, but the plan is, IF I can make some serious pwr on a 22R, I'll keep it, otherwise I'll be looking for a swap. I really want to make the 20/22R work, so that's why I'm here, I need advise. I'd like to get around 500HP, keep it streeable, but ready for the drag stip, or drifting, burnouts, etc. Please shoot any/all ideas my way.
    I think I'll start with a 22R block, get some forged pistons low comp for turbo, keep the 20R head, port it, swap the rockers for aluminum, and that should be a good start.

Thanx!

Attached Files:

RN23CB, Justintheegreat and 74RN22 like this.
  2. Toyoterra

Toyoterra Newbie

Truck:
    72 RN22 / 86 4runner
    Welcome to TM, thats a sweet truck you got there cant wait to see what you do with it

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Welcome to TM!

honestly, go for a swap if youre looking for that kind of power. Itl be easier And maybe cheaper to achieve than with the 2xR. BEAMS, 2JZ, LSx will all be better options.

4. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Welcome and good luck with the vintage trucks and getting the youngsters into wrenching!

If your goal is that type of power, don’t waste your money and time on the 2Xr series - Engine swap is the practical answer. Aside from the swaps Jetas mentioned, there’s the 2rz/3rz from a Tacoma that’s capable of achieving stupid amount of power when boosted

KS.ID and jetas like this.
  5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Totally forgot about the 3RZ. Those do good with some boost

KS.ID likes this.
  6. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Welcome! and sweet truck! Looks like a good survivor, even has the hood badge still!

I have a 72.5 and I'm riding the original motor til she blows, then I'll be hunting for a 2RZ or 3RZ.

7. lusitron

lusitron Newbie

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    WOW! 3RZ uh? Ok, will start looking into that. I can't pick up the truck for a while, they're still sorting out paperwork. So, I guess I'll need a racing ECU or is the stock OK to tune? Also, can the 3RZ run without EFI, or do I need the electronics? I'm old school, and rather not have to take it to tooner for final setup. OK, back to googling, thanx the info!

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    All the engines mentioned are EFI.

9. lusitron

lusitron Newbie

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    Finally got the truck home. Nasty. That thing has been sitting since 1994, it was like a time capsule! Surprisingly, just superficial rust, fender bender on the front left, and front valance. So then engine was already swapped, so I don't feel bad about doing the engine swap, not a classic resto/collector candidate...
    Looking into option for the 3rz, seems LCE Performance is the most popular player in town for turbo, will see if it's best to buy long block, or do the rebuild ourselves. Would be great experience for the kid, but expensive if it goes bad. Just cleaned it out and blew off crap with air, still need to hit with hose/soap, but already looking much Better! Like the pic with the GY Eagle, looks like it fits! LOL

Attached Files: