Perkolator's '75 Hilux

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Perkolator, Sep 25, 2015.

1. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

What is this bushing called?
    [​IMG]
    I need to replace them on my truck. And I can not find them on line with out the bolt, which is ok but they come in different sizes and I don't know what size is the original.

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    swaybar bushings. i'm not sure on the size, but would imagine it's the same size for ALL 2wd toyota pickups. If you find some, let me know, looks like mine could use a replacement too.

3. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

Sweet thanks. Found some here, looks like it will fit our trucks and I ordered a set.

4. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Rims should look good once u get them fully mounted.

5. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Had my first "issue" while out picking up dinner the other night. Thought I'd be walking home for sure, but was saved!

When I took off my carb a while back, I had readjusted the link rod that connects the gas pedal to the carb. I guess I left too little threads inside the rod coupling and didn't tighten down the two lock nuts enough, nor did I use any LocTite on the threads. Got to my destination and on my way back I was driving through a parking lot and all of a sudden lost the feeling in my gas pedal. Rolled through a stop sign when I realized I had not gas and pulled over to find that the accelerator rod was in 2 pieces and no connector, oops! Walked 1/4 mile back to the restaurant and then to my truck staring at the ground and didn't find the part. Then as I'm coming back to my truck I see the damn thing hiding behind my tire - SAVED the day! Now I need to remember to stock up on some duct tape and bailing wire for my truck, lol.

Also, attempted at cleaning up those aluminum wheels I bought. These are definitely not show quality wheels, I'm seeing decent amount of rock rash on them from the Heep guy that was hidden under all the black oxidation and caked on brake dust, bummer. Since I know they will not clean up the greatest I'm not planning to invest hours upon hours of my time. I tried some Bar Keepers Friend, it actually had a little success in removing some of the grime. I think I will try to get hold of some acid based wheel stripper and soak them. Then I will only polish the flat "face" of each spoke and the perimeter, paint the whole thing black and then take solvent so the polished areas and do a final wet sand and then a clear coat over everything so the exposed mag aluminum doesn't go black. Might even paint the polished areas "aluminum color" instead of doing all this work, I dunno yet. Thoughts?

6. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    FINALLY getting ready to order up parts to lower my Hilux. Life's been crazy with a 3yr old and now a 6wk old.
    Trying to be as cheap as possible so ordering from multiple sources of course. Take a look and see if I've got my part numbers correct and whatnot, or if you know of cheaper vendors.

Front:
    Mighty Max coils - MOOG #2278, $80.88 Amazon, $95.89 RockAuto
    Monroe Monro-Matic Plus #32258, $15.93/ea, RockAuto

Rear:
    Monroe Max-Air #MA792 air shocks, $55.99 RockAuto
    3" steel lowering block kit, #BLO-3-FAB-002, $42.73 eBay

7. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Also, I'd like to swap out my exhaust muffler soon too. Right now it's got a Flowmaster or knockoff installed and it's stupid loud with plenty of drone and that "look at me" sound quality that I don't want on any of my vehicles. The current pipe layout makes sense to keep the oval can with offset/offset 2" ports vs going to a round can or centered ports.

Trying to keep it well under $100 since I'm buying lowering parts. Keep in mind this is for a 20r with Weber and a Hedman 4-1 header with 2" pipe, no CAT. Though it's a pre-smog I have contemplated a high-flow CAT just to cut down on some exhaust smell, but I'll likely skip that blasphemy.

These are the ones I'm thinking of, in order of increasing price on Summit:
    Walker SoundFX
    Thrush Turbo
    Jones Full Boar
    Dynomax SuperTurbo
    Magnaflow XL

On my 22re truck I have stock manifold and downpipe that's reduced in length, 2" pipe, 2" Magnaflow CAT, 2.25" pipe, 2.25" Magnaflow round can and out stock location. Pretty quiet with a little grunt when on the throttle.

For some reason I'm kinda leaning toward something like the Thrush. It's middle tier pricing and brand name. I'm familiar with the brand from my childhood and I kinda think it's more period-correct for my truck, especially if I sport the sweet woodpecker sticker somewhere. However, my only experience with Thrush is glasspack mufflers and this is not those. I'm also stuck on the type of can - I see some are a straight-through design and some make an "S" turn inside. My magnaflow is straight. I haven't really seen any comparison vids of the two styles, but find plenty of a "chambered" Flowmaster style vs the others and of course all of these are always on v8 vehicles not a little I-4

Opinions?

8. grassfed

grassfed Member

Truck:
    '76 Hilux
    Any updates on this truck?

9. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Not much, been super busy with a newborn and more hours at work...but on the plus side I haven't forgotten about my truck and just yesterday the brown truck did delivered me some Mighty Max springs! Slowly but surely

grassfed likes this.
  10. Sang park

Sang park Member

I installed the same springs on my 75. Any advice on tire size for a 15 inch?

11. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    No idea, right now I have 17s but will be switching to 15s. Do you know approximately how many degrees your front camber changed afterward? Trying to determine whether my current 17s that stick out slightly, will clear the fenders once I lower it - otherwise I can't test drive it without an alignment to get the top sucked in enough.

I think I'm going to go with a 195/55 or 205/65-15 which should be pretty close to the stock 195/75-14 size.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  12. Sang park

Sang park Member

I'm not quite sure how much it changed the camber since I replaced all the tie rod components on it and haven't gotten an alignment yet.

What's the width and offset the of your 17"? I know a 15x7 with a zero offset will fit without hitting anything.

13. grassfed

grassfed Member

Truck:
    '76 Hilux
    I'm curious about offset too, I'm looking at some nice 15x8 steelies but not sure if I can do zero offset or not. I'd like to keep it zero if possible.

14. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I had test fit a set of 15x7 with a 3.75 backspace. I was going to run 195/55's.

As far as the front drop i cut 3-ish turns off the coils

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Took this one thre the fender parking light hole
    [​IMG]
    Heres the rear, it was close to flush. 3" blocks and a pulled middle leaf
    [​IMG]

grassfed likes this.
  15. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Not much of an update, but something funny that happened the other day

Used the Hilux to fetch some old metal roof panels and because it was hot and I didn't want to unload, I just parked my truck in the orchard and left the windows down...well a few days later I decided to move the truck closer to my shop so I could cut them up for my project (making raised garden beds with them). I got in and started the truck not noticing anything other than a bird shit on my bench seat....but my son wanted to go for a ride too and when he opened the passenger door the light hit something and caught my eye....apparently one of our chickens, Ghostie, decided to make a nice comfy spot in the passenger footwell among my pile of misc tie-down straps and lay a few eggs there :looney: I kinda thought something was up when I wasn't seeing her eggs for a few days in the coop, I guess now I gotta keep an eye out for my vehicles hahahaha

Didn't get a pic of the eggs in the truck because my son snatched them up so quick, but later that day I caught the culprit eyeing my truck again when I was working, lol.
    https://imgur.com/OCiYreA

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  16. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Hmm I dunno why my pic isn't working, oh well

17. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

18. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Finally made time to work on truck stuff again, yay.

Decided on and ordered a Dynomax muffler to swap out at some point, because the chambered muffler is driving me crazy whenever I drive the truck. Also ordered a battery disconnect switch - I don't drive the truck enough and there's a slight parasitic draw that will kill it after a week with the battery hooked up - which definitely got old.

Lately the major project has been cleaning up the Jeep turbine wheels I plan to use. Paint stripped the clear coat and LOTS of sanding later, the factory grooved machined finish is finally gone and they're somewhat smooth! Some of the rock rash was too deep to remove, but they look better, this will never be a show truck. I didn't want a high polished surface, so I didn't go all out with buffing it. Was going to paint the recesses black, but decided to test paint one wheel with dark gray instead, since it's different. I wish it was a few shades darker but it's what they had on the shelf as the darkest gray - I can always paint them again down the road.

The blue masking tape I used left some weird marking on the surface that I guess I'll have to buff away with the couple spots of paint that bled through. Might try different masking tape. I'm going to paint the inside/backside of the wheels gray or maybe black since you can see through them. Don't think I'm going to clear coat them though, perhaps just polish will keep them from oxidizing too badly.

IMG_9697.jpg

Ivey and Pearce like this.
  19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Clean that residue off well or it will kick your ass when hitting it up again.

20. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

@Perkolator I recommend you paint the inside of the wheel black, it will make the wheel look deep and the grey and silver will pop. Nice work, love the wheels.