73 hilux 22r hybrid

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Pearce, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    with all the contours, I'm curious what you're using to sand down that trans housing with? by hand?

2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Yup. Not as bad as the valve cover as far as the contours. I mostly just used normal paper for knocking down and switch to a sanding sponge for getting scratches out and tight spaces.

3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Started the polish on the housing. It's not going to be perfect but it will look good. Have a few scratches I didnt get out. Just going to leave them. Dont even think they will be in sight. 20200604_170854.jpg

4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Decided it would be best to pull the bellhousing off to work on it. Really just have detail work. 20200605_145945.jpg 20200605_150452.jpg

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    That '68 Chevelle in the back :love:

6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I'm about to convince my boss to let me work for it to get it. But then again I really want the Mitsubishi. The cooler car of the 2. The chevelle is just a Malibu. The Mitsubishi is the vr4 4 wheel drive.

7. macawilial

macawilial Veteran

Truck:
    89 4x4 sold. 90 4runner 4x4 sold. 92 bagged sold. 81 longbed sold. 72 RN14...keeping
    Nice work!

Pearce likes this.
  8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Well the transmission makeover is pretty much done. Got the center section painted and everything cleaned up some more. Just have a few details to get.

Also noticed some odd wear around the pilot bearing on the old 20r.

Posted the before shot again to see where I started from.

IMG_20200610_145226_875.jpg IMG_20200517_005338_209.jpg 20200610_145339.jpg

9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Got my new timing cover and things. Cover fits up good. Most of the parts in the kit seem to be good. It was a 100 dollar kit so I was taking a chance but I'll probably use everything but there grey silicone. Going to use the Toyota stuff. Also decided against the arp studs. After doing some digging around people have said they can cause some kind of lubrication problem. Also some 30 year Toyota dealer tech said he would never run them. That's enough for me not to buy them for this build. I'll find something else to put that money into. I'll probably paint the block this weekend and start assembly on the short block.

10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Been sanding the engine bay down and getting pretty close to primer. The drivers side tub is pretty much bare. It must of leaked brake fluid most of its life. A few tight areas to get. Most of the surface rust it coming right off. Still have a few things to pull before paint. Also welded up a where the throttle linkage got hacked in. It was pretty narly with a nasty gap. Oh painted the block the other day. Moving along. Screenshot_20200620-185018_Instagram.jpg

RN23CB likes this.
  11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Made a few orders. Went ahead and bought a rebuilt head from headsonly.com for 325. They say they take all cores. Head bolts are ordered along with exhaust studs, clutch bolts, head gasket, clutch master and my paint for the engine bay. I need to get a brake booster. Kicking myself for not getting it sooner. Found one for a deal but it's gone now. I can get one at the auto parts store though. I have a few things I need to order but the list is getting smaller. Soon I can start thinking about steering parts. Funny thing is that was first on the list when I got the truck.

12. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    New rockers are on the way with the nuts and screws. The head comes with a cam and dont want to chance to much. Expecting most of the stuff with in the next week. Not much stuff holding me up now that I need to purchase. The head shop has called a couple times. First to ask if mine has a fuel pump and next was that they didnt have one with a fuel pump. Dosnt matter to me and they didnt care if mine had one or not. It is a 200 dollar charge if I dont have a core returned in a month. Shouldnt be a problem for me but it is steep and you are never told what it might be before purchasing.

13. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Well because I ordered rockers I decided to get a performance cam as well. Went with a 270/.430 from redline engine builders. My research tells me it should be fine on piston and valve clearance. Going to have to do the clay check. Also installed the radiator today. Still a little worried about clearance. My measurement shows it will be close. Also fixed the drivers side motor mount and bolted in the new one. Probably going to prime the bay this weekend. Work on sanding more, cleaning, and welding up the last of the things tomorrow.

14. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Got the head. Looks to be alright. It was missing the rockers dowel pins. A few dollar part. And they spray painted the head. Kind of weird imo. The parts I need should be here with the next week. Spent today putting the studs and spark plugs in. Going to do the port match. You can see my marks that there is alot to remove. One nice thing is the exhaust doesn't have the emissions tubes installed. Made sure to use anti seize. Also got my fittings for water and oil pressure on and mounted the gauges. Put in the halo switches for the fan and fog lights too. I need to by an ashtray.

20200703_105926.jpg 20200703_125015.jpg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  15. Babyyota

Babyyota Newbie

Where were you able to find the grill I’m looking for one of the earlier style ones but they are very hard to find

16. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Years of searching ebay and online. I found that rn20 is the best way to find body parts with a search.

jetas likes this.
  17. Babyyota

Babyyota Newbie

Yeah that’s what I figured some guy on the rn20 Facebook group said he’s still able to get them in the Philippines

Pearce likes this.
  18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yup RN20, RN22, RN23, RN25, RN28 all work awesome

Pearce likes this.
  19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Good info. I knew the parts are being made in thiland. But I've never heard back from the manufacturer. Personally I would try and find someone to buy and ship them. Or take a vacation there. Talking with the dude that knows about them there is a walk in store selling these parts. Just not online. I need the early valance and hood. So this gets my hope up.

20. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    My new tach came in today. The antique beige series. Got to get the matching speedo for it. And eventually get the oil and water temp gauges in the same series. It is a little small for the dash. Its 3 1/8". I will have to make a sheet metal mounting plate. Got it for a decent price $100 after shipping and tax. Mostly saved on shipping. 20200708_160017.jpg