jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    This is what i meant by base timing

2. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    cool, yeah, thats what i've got for now. I'm readjusting my TPS, and have hooked up a gauge to measure the air pressure in the intake manifold.

3. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I've got the engine running... kinda. I had to adjust the stop screw on the throttle valve to get it to run, so I am leaning towards the problem being with the idle air circuit. I did notice that adjusting the idle speed adjustment screw did nothing earlier.

I did some tests on vacuum and while doing that I noticed that adding a shot of starter fluid dropped the rpms, so that leads me to believe that the fuel/air ratio is too rich, and it starving for air. Does this make sense?

I've always considered a wideband o2 sensor setup, does anyone have any suggestions of widebands that they have had good luck with?

4. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    If the mixture is too rich, it could be a couple of things, from most likely to lest, the coolant temp sensor is not connected damaged or has a wiring fault. The air flow meter is damaged (due to backfire) . There is a rag stuck in the intake somewhere. an injector is leaking, Or finally your truck just hates you :)

5. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

The coolant temp sensor haunted my Supra before I decided on a full engine swap, surprising how much that thing controls the whole machine.

6. Justin Danger

Truck:
    IACV is dialed now, TPS is the best I've done on that little majigger. Next up is the coolant temp sensor. Most of what I have seen for measuring the coolant temp sensor says to take a measurement hot, and just make sure that it changes when it gets cold. Are there value that I am looking for, or just a change in values?

AFM I'll check too.

All rags are present and accounted for
    Thinking of finally getting my injectors sonically cleaned and rebuilt.

any progress is progress right?

7. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Oh yeah, and I got the new fuel pressure gauge installed on the back of the fuel filter. Pressure seems nominal.

8. Liquidhandwash

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    The resistance is high when cold and low when hot, thats why if there is an open circut, (eg broken wire, corroded termenal ot broken sensor) the ECU will think is -40 an dump a heap of fuel into the engine. I couldn't find a chart for your truck, but have a look below you will get the idea. If its faulty I would expect to see it at a high resistance or completely open circut from your description of the fault.
    A good way to check the wiring to the ECU is to disconect the coolant temp sensor while the engine is running, it will bog down and maybe stall. You can also short out the temp sensor wires on the plug with a paper clip so the ECU thinks the engine is hot, and the enigne should run fine as long as its not crazy cold.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=toy...r5rhAhWRheYKHR3XA9oQ_AUIDigB&biw=1173&bih=644

9. Justin Danger

Truck:
    DUDE! great tips! yeah, for some reason there isn't a chart for this one, oh well.

I've got a couple days off in the middle of the week, gonna throw some solutions at that engine and see what sticks.

10. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I've go her running right now. Running rough, but running. At higher RPMs she smooths out, and will kinda surge at idle and smooth, so I want to reassess my TPS. Also a lot of rattling coming from the bottom end. I was able to run her long enough to heat up to set valve lash and timing properly, and the top end sounds nice, but the bottom end rattle scares me.

11. Liquidhandwash

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Bottom end rattle? WTF this motor realy hates you. Did you prime the oil pump?

12. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I didn't replace the crankshaft, so i'm gonna drain, re torque, refill, and re test.

New coolant temp sender and pigtail came today, so I will go ahead and install that.

Now that the sun is shining again I can start thinking of body work. The tailgate just needs a little work and I can get it finished up.

13. Liquidhandwash

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Ok, But did you prime the oil pump? It looks like you cleaned up everything and maybe replaced the pump, but the oil pump will not work dry. It needs to be fill of oil when you assemble the engine.
    You can unscrew the oil filter and check its fill of oil, if not you oil pump is not primed and is not pumping. You can prime the pump without disassembling the engine, by removeing the oil pressure switch and pumping oil up the hole with an oil can. It also helps to fill up the oil filter with oil before fitting it.

14. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I have oil pressure, wouldn't I only get oil pressure if the pump was working?

15. Liquidhandwash

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    As long as your 100% sure it has oil pressure, the pump is working. Its all very strange, new motor with a all these weird problems, is your truck haunted by any chance?
    If its got a bottom end knock you will have to pull the sump and have a look.
    You replaced the bearings, were they the correct size?

16. Justin Danger

Truck:
    well, my biggest problem may be that this engine is a complete frankenstein, and I assumed that everything would fit together.

DOA head, LCE block, 22REPerformance rods, stock crankshaft, and a buncha other jazz.

the main and rod bearings were brand new from LCE. Rings matched the forge postons and bore i got from them. The parts I didn't check were bearing clearances with plasigate.

I guess I need to confirm oil pressure, then drop the pan and investigate.

17. Justin Danger

Truck:
    ........only haunted by the ghost of the original engine!

18. Justin Danger

Truck:
    oil pressure is confirmed! so I guess I am takin off the oil pan and inspecting the bottom end for anything.

I do recall that most of the research I did seemed to point to the knuckle pins being slip fit, but mine I had to press fit, could that be causing an issue?

19. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Also managed to get a used door that looks like all the rubber and paint is crap, but the metal work is clean. I've got all the rubber, plan to repaint, and Betsy should be looking better soonish.

20. Liquidhandwash

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Do you mean the gudgeon pins or wrist pins? as long as the piston is fitted to the conrod the correct way around and the conrod is not binding it shouldnt be a problem. The conrods also has to be fitted to the crank the correct way around also, and the bearing shell in both the mains and big ends need to be fitted the correct way around also.