Torque Spec for Leaf Springs & U-Bolts

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by nnywg, Aug 13, 2018.

1. nnywg

nnywg Member

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has an official torque spec for the leaf springs at the bushing connections and also the axle U-bolts. I would take the info from a newer truck as likely-correct.

BTW, Energy Suspension's leaf bushings from newer trucks fix the N10 Hilux just right.

Thanks in advance

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    IIRC from my other Toyota when I did OME leafs, the torque specs are around 90-100ft/lbs for the ubolts. Install and re-torque after driving and check them again for a few weeks afterward because they may loosen after things settle in - mine did. I think I also used red loctite on mine.

For the hangers/shackles I believe mine all had nylocks on the new hardware, so I just blue loctited them and got them snug to not damage the bushing too much. They don't appear to have loosened up over the years.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    @nnywg do you have a PN or link to the bushings you used?

4. nnywg

nnywg Member

I'll do a tech article with all the energy suspension stuff I've used on my build. I should do a build thread actually. Keep an eye out; my schedule is chaos right now.

jetas likes this.
  5. David Eidson

David Eidson Member

For leaf spring bushings on newer trucks, the torque specification typically ranges from 50 to 90 ft-lbs for the shackle bolts and 90 to 120 ft-lbs for the U-bolts on the axle. Always refer to the specific vehicle's manual or consult with the manufacturer for precise torque values. Energy Suspension's leaf bushings designed for newer trucks might provide an effective solution for the N10 Hilux, offering improved performance and fit. Ensure proper fitment and follow recommended torque specs for optimal safety and functionality.

6. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Just to put it out there.. a 30/50 lbs in torque is significant on a bolt head, and sometimes the matting surfaces. I'd look for the specific torque value for the specific bolt. Hence why something's are tightened in a particular sequence.