Fried oil pressure gauge?

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by KingBouyah, Jan 15, 2018.

1. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

So I swapped in an SR5 cluster from a v6 4runner into my 22re standard cab. I heeded the warnings of not hooking up the oil pressure sender, but I've been dragging my feet on getting an SR5 sender.

Drove it like that for a few months, then my wife talks me into using a free oil change coupon we had from meineke. It was good that I took it in there because I was unaware that my diff was leaking again, even though it's been less than a year since I had the seal changed and u joint replaced, so now I'm thinking, what's up, is my pinion bent? They also told me I was about a quart low in the motor, but I'm worried about my diff, right?

Anyway, that was Saturday and I had driven it home and to work and then today on my lunch break I notice my oil pressure gauge looks a little different than before, instead of rock bottom it's sitting over top of the L. Then it dawns in me that they probably noticed my dangly wire and decided to "do me a favor" and hook my oil pressure sender back up. I drove the rest of the way home in horror realizing that they fried my gauge. Checked it and sure enough it's hooked up.

So here's the funny part, though. It now rolls all the way up and then slowly moved back down every time I start it. (Which has been twice since I noticed) I thought it did that when it gets fried and then doesn't move anymore after that? Am I mistaken that the symptoms of a fried gauge are actually all the way up and all the way down Everytime instead of just the first time?
    Is it really fried, or is mine somehow magically spared despite my stupidity in not replacing the sender sooner?

2. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Ya you need a different oil sender. My truck did the same thing, i have the sensor. Just havent installed it yet.

3. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

So I did pull a sending unit from the local yard. I figured $4 was a better plan than $50 or whatever a new one costs. I'm in the same boat, though. Haven't installed it yet. I've been on the lookout for one for a while and finally found it the day after this happened, so go figure.
    I read the fsm and it recommends loctite when you install it, so I need to pick some up before I actually put it in.
    Once I get it installed I'll report back on whether I need a new gauge, too.

4. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Ya honestly, am just being lazy and will get to it when i do. I gotta get started on the body work now.

5. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

Soooo... I guess it's not fried?
    IMG_20180206_134301.jpg
    Now if I can just get the diff to stop leaking and the clunk in the steering or suspension taken care of and I'll have a nice little truck.

6. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
  7. Hands_On_Henry

Hands_On_Henry Member

Truck:
    1985 22R/4spd
    Sometimes the seal lip will wear a groove into whatever is passing through it, in your case the drive flange. When this happens a new seal wont fix it anymore unfortunately.

8. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

Well that was my problem a year ago, replaced the u joint, seal and flange. Then shortly after that it started rattling again. I had someone else check it and they said it was fine and they thought the rattling was the drive shaft. So I drove it like that for a while, but now it's leaking again.
    There was some uneven wear on the flange, so I'm wondering if the pinion is bent or something. I don't want to replace it all again and have it get all wonky again in only a couple months.

9. Hands_On_Henry

Hands_On_Henry Member

Truck:
    1985 22R/4spd
    Geez, some luck. I wouldn't want to be doing it again either.

10. hawaiiysr

hawaiiysr Member

Truck:
    93 single cab
    can i use the oil pressure sensor from a v6 4runner ?

11. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Did the 4runner have the dummy oil sensor or more advance sensor. If it had the advance one then yes it should work, buy i believe all the 4runners came with the more advance oil gauge.

12. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

Yeah, I pulled my sensor from a V6 4runner, I don't remember what year, though.
    If you search for it on the O'Reilly website, it will tell you which other Toyotas it fits. The early nineties Camry is on there and I think a 2nd gen Supra.
    It's best to pull the sensor and the connector. I do know that the sensors changed at some point. The earlier ones had a little button that the single wire connector slides onto. The later ones have an actual plug that I think has more than one wire.
    I have read some posts where people were able to use the same connector that was already on their truck and just slide it sideways onto the button, so that's what I looked for. But, that was not the case for me. Mine did not have a slot on the side of the connector to slide it onto the button, plus there was a rubber boot that covers the sensor anyway that necessitated just clipping the old one off and splicing on the 4runner connector because the hole in the boot was only big enough for the wire.

13. hawaiiysr

hawaiiysr Member

Truck:
    93 single cab
    thanks. i know of a 95 4runner being parted out. ill go pull the sensor as well. i already pulled the cluster. where on the engine is the sensor located? i know on the 22re its right by the oil filter. but on the v6 4runner?

14. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

It's on the driver's side near the bottom front of the engine. I think the oil filter is nearby on that side, too.

15. hawaiiysr

hawaiiysr Member

Truck:
    93 single cab
    right on. thanks for the help!