1. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Well, she may not have the cleanest engine bay, but dang do I love this sight:
    22rteBetsy2-5-17Sm.jpg

ace89 likes this.
  2. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Well I'm going to try to refrain from profanity here, but I just went through a bunch of work to get nowhere. I finally got the right shocks, right U-bolts, and went about installing my drop leafs. Got the shocks off, got the old leafs off, and tried to get the new leafs in. They were a little long, so I just used a couple ratchet straps to tension them to get them to fit. Got them in the shackles and all, then went to back the jack on the rear axle down to sit the pin in the indexing hole. 4" off!!!!! the pin holding the leafs together was 4" off of lining up with the hole in the axle mount. So as I laid on my back in the wet driveway staring up at the spare tire holder chain, I decided to do some research. Went to the belltech website and put in my truck info, and they came out saying part # 5976. I glanced over at the leafs I had, and in big print they read "# 5978"..... Yeah..... don't know what went wrong or when or who, but I somehow ended up with the wrong leafs. So I took em off, put the old ones back on, back to the 3" blocks, and the old gabriel shocks.

3. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Well, look on the bright side. At least it was reversible and you were able to put the old parts back on until you get the correct parts. I once bought a Pacesetter cat-back exhaust for my Celica (back in the 1980s). But those idiots welded the flange at the cat 90 degrees off AND it was about 4" too short. BUT, I had cut the original exhaust off to remove it so I had no way to go back and it was my only car which I needed for going to work/school the next day. It was Sunday so muffler shops were closed. I had to cut the flange off and asked my neighbor to weld it on correctly and then I had to use coat hanger wire as an exhaust hanger because it wouldn't reach the stock exhaust hangers. A couple weeks later I took my car to a muffler shop and had them install a custom exhaust. Couldn't return the POS because I "modified" it. I never bought and never will buy Pacesetter/Monza crap again.

4. Justin Danger

Truck:
    That is such a bummer man! and shhhh, my last exhaust hanger at the end doesn't work with my custom exhaust, so it is strung up with a web of galvanized wire for now.

5. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    5978, what do those fit? t100 toyota it looks like....???

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  6. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Something bigger than my truck. I had to compress them with 2 ratchet straps, and then when I took them off after install, the rear shackle was sprung up into the frame, I had to use a pry bar to leverage it down to get the straps off. Then when I noticed that it was the complete wrong frame, had to re pry it to get the straps around it again to get it off.

7. DMC

DMC Member

That sucks about the leaf springs. I ordered a set as well a few weeks ago and had them delivered to my buddy's shop. I haven't gotten around to having them installed yet(hopefully next week), but after reading your post, I immediately called him up and asked him to check for the correct part #'s...and he confirmed he received the correct one's. sorry though, still sucks for you:

8. Justin Danger

Truck:
    way i figure now is that it was a practice run. I am still quite amateure at this, so for removing rear leafs, it was a first for me.
    On my first truck, i just went through taking things off and putting them back on to understand things.

9. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Good to know that there is a coil/shock that can work on the front. Sucks about the rear leafs. Atleast know you will probly check all part#s on future parts u order and recieve.

10. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Yeah man! I don't know about stock height trucks, but this is the one that I found that worked for my drop. Definitely checking not just part numbers, but dimensions too. Just can't trust online retailer fitments.

11. Justin Danger

Truck:
    So in the last week I put about 1k miles on betsy, she now has just over 175k miles on her odometer! I was worried about pushing her after just doing a bunch of work, but everything seems mostly fine. One thing I noticed though, is that while traveling down the highway, when I let off the gas, the whole truck swerves to one side, when I put the gas back on, she swerves the other way. Is this an alignment issue? is it just engine torque on the chassis? Is it because I took off that dang steering stabilizer (haha)?

12. Justin Danger

Truck:
    well, been doing some little bits of work here and there in wait for the new leafs. I put in a pcv with a 90 degree elbow, so the hose goes straight to the plenum. I switched out some of the gauge lights with red LEDs, and during the day i didn't know how i felt about it. I went out tonight, and it is cooool. After all those miles witha brand new ignition system, I decided to recheck the timing, and why not check for valve lash too?
    Also waiting on my 2 1/4" intermediate pipe for the exhaust, and the time to do the oil pan.
    Oh, and i decided to go ahead and paint her name on the tailgate.
    20170215_151125_HDR.jpg

grassfed likes this.
  13. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I feel like you forgot the name of this thread hehe...

14. Justin Danger

Truck:
    she has come a looong way, and i felt that her nickname is more appropriate these days. The name printed across her backside is more important than the thread title haha.

My computer is in the shop, so it looks like it will be a while before i can get some pics up, but work continues in spite of weather!

15. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    You can change the title of ur thread..

16. Justin Danger

Truck:
    HAHA so i can.

i may be an amateur under the hood, but still am more comfortable there than using the interwebs

17. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Drove quite a few hundred more miles this week with some heavy loads, and noticed a shaking while braking. Sure enough my brake rotors were in bad shape. I did some research online, read my hanes and chilton manuals, and was expecting a daunting job. Well, that was not the case, it took a lot less time than i expected, and was an easy job. Now it's time to break them in.
    When i took the front wheels off i noticed really bad wear on the inside tread, so looks like it is time for an alignment and new tires. Sucks because those tires are only a couple months old.

18. Justin Danger

Truck:
    well, this post is written from the waiting room at an exhaust shop. It feels weird handing the work over to someone else, but I don't know a thing about exhaust. my old setup was all clamps and exhaust sealant. The other day, i had to do some offroading around some road work, and coming off of a curb I heard that distinct sound of rear axle hitting exhaust pipes, then the sound of a 22rte without a muffler. When i got home, i parked her, and went underneath to feel where the exhaust was escaping from, and it was a few places. So now I'm getting a lrofessional job all welded up, and real close to the bed away from the axle. So now i wait, knowing Betsy is going to come out better than the jenked up work i had done to her before.

twizted1 likes this.
  19. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Finally got the new belltech leafs installed today! one had the bushingsbin the wrongnplaces, front in back amd back in front, and both had the pin holding them together upside down. I corrected those things, and got em on. The monroe shocks were a little too short, so i put the gabriels back on. they are a little long, but that is better than too short.

20. ace89

ace89 Member

Truck:
    86 xcab sr5 turbo
    Nice job on your 22rte. What part of California you at? I'm in nor cal and also have a black 86 turbo 2wd.

I IMG_20170213_014336_094.jpg