6 speed

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by LAYNLOW, Mar 17, 2016.

1. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Has anyone on here or know anyone who has put a 6 speed in there truck? Is there one that can bolt up to the 22re?

2. sojayota

sojayota Enthusiast

Only one I've heard of is attached to a ls motor. I wish I had another gear especially on the highway ha.

loki and KERTWOOD like this.
  3. sojayota

sojayota Enthusiast

I would start with either an xrunner or 05 or newer Tacoma. But the trick would probably b the bell housing and weather or not u need an Ecu or not.

4. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Yea another gear is definitely needed for me. Haha. Was hoping they made an adapter of somekind with some custom linkages and what not. But i know there would be more to it then just linkages and adapters

5. sojayota

sojayota Enthusiast

Might get lucky ha. As far as bell housing u could cut and weld one together.

6. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    See if any makes a over drive for a RE22!
    I put a B&J 20% over drive behind a C-6 trans way back in 78,worked great!

I have a manual 5 speed w-55 trans on my 88 Toy, 5th gear with the right rear end gearing gives you great top end !

sojayota likes this.
  7. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    There is no direct bolt up 6 speed manual for an r series. If you just want a higher top gear swap in a w58, it's 5th gear is 8% taller than all other r series compatible trannies.

8. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Thanks fellas! The w-58 bolt right up or does it need some modification?

9. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    the bellhousing you need for the w58 is the same bell as the w55, 56, 57, and 59. Keep in mind if the bell attached to the w58 you get is NOT from a 22r/re motor, it's probably the wrong bell. I believe I have a spare bell I could sell if you really get into a bind. There are others in the for sale section who have a good selection, too. If you got the w55 in there already, then you have the right bell

10. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    do aftermarket overdrive units still exist? I remember seeing an older gm truck for sale once that had this installed behind the trans. Wouldn't this work kinda like a 6th overdrive gear?

11. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    W series or g series both use the same bell. The w58 was available in early 80's celica too. I want to say they were in gts models.

Other than a gear vendors OD unit there isn't much that is size friendly under a mini truck. The old school method is a browning auxiliary transmission divorce mounted between the trans and axle. It has its own manual shifter so gears can be split but it's far too large and bulky for this application.

12. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Thanks guys for the info..big help!

13. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    From what I have read, (if you could even bolt it up) a 6 speed trans from a tacoma wont really do you any good for a higher top speed or a lower RPM at freeway cruising because both final gears are overdrive gears and are about the same .85 gear ratio. 6th gear in the 6spd is not a greater overdrive gear.

14. trying2learn

trying2learn Newbie

Truck:
    88 pickup 22r RWD longbed deluxe model
    so White Trash, a W58 is only different in it's 5th gear ratio and not the 1-4 gears? I don't want to change the gearing in 1-4 too much because the gearing as is in a W55 is pretty good. Bringing down the rpm on the freeway or just having a higher speed than 65 without mad engine noise would be nice. (I have a W55 with an F302 rear end)

LAYNLOW likes this.
  15. trying2learn

trying2learn Newbie

Truck:
    And has anyone just opened the tranny up and literally just put a bigger fifth gear on it? since fifth is sorta an add on to the four speed it seems like it should be possible.. Might just be trying to blow my transmission into smithereens :shrug::evil:

LAYNLOW likes this.
  16. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I think if it were that easy you'd see more evidence of it - or at least trans gear parts to support it....

Wikipedia and many other places list the gear ratios for the different Toyota transmissions and you can compare.

What RPM are you running at 65mph in 5th gear? I can get there in my 75 hilux with w50 and 4.10 gears and it's not screaming high RPMs, probably somewhere around 3000-3500rpm if I had a tach. In my 93 4wd with a pretty much stock gear/tire ratio I can easily get to 65mph just shy of 3000rpms.

My guess is a lot of the problem with taller 5th or 6th gears is these Toyota engines are too anemic to provide the power needed to do anything with it....but they'll last almost literally forever!

17. trying2learn

trying2learn Newbie

Truck:
    goo point on the power, honestly I don't know the Rpms (also no tach) but i have 3.702 gearig if that helps, it may not actually be too high but it definitely seems like it, and I feel like I can watch the gas gauge drop if I hold around 70.. it gets REALLY loud in the cab, girlfriend and I basically yell at each other to talk haha

18. unclejesse

unclejesse Newbie

Inchworm gear claimed to be working on an adapter for the six speed, but never stated what engine it was for and I don't think it ever came about. On my old 90 is used the celica transmission that white trash mentioned. All gears except 4th are different. Cruising down the freeway at 65 in fifth, with a 22re you are right on the verge of lugging it. That was with a cam, header and exhaust.

19. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    i've heard ....:thinking:
    u can use the pontiac solstice 6spd trans. but it will require new bell adapter to the R, and fabbing up mounts. dont know much more about this swap. like i said.... its a tall tale IMO

20. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    W58's have completely different gears.

4th is 1:1 ratio.
    5th is .783 ratio.

Doing 60mph in 5th with 275/35/18s, I was right at 2000RPM. I also had 3.42's in the rear, that makes a big difference, too.

On your 4spd transmission, 3rd is your 1:1 ratio. You gain another gear to evenly split everything before you hit the 1:1 ratio. This boosts acceleration.

T56's are double overdrive.

I'm shoving a Nismo 370Z 6spd transmission behind my 1UZ. Any 6spd will need an adapter for a 22RE but that'd be pretty neat to see.