Yotarip's Turbo Truck - " Project Rebirth "

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by yotarip, May 9, 2008.

1. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Haven't done anything new to my truck. I did make an xrunner owner feel bad on the highway a week ago. Walked him pretty bad.
    Been helping a friend with his swap. He waited a while to find a VVti motor because he is determined to have a faster mini than mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll let him be faster for a few months. Then I'll cut him down with my VVti swap and 3.08 mustang rear end.

Luxsupra likes this.
  2. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Always good to have a friend to push u to do more!

3. Ryno5150

Ryno5150 Member

Truck:
    89 2WD reg cab, 85 4Runner
    I'll let him be faster for a few months. Then I'll cut him down with my VVti swap and 3.08 mustang rear end.[/QUOTE]
    Are you going with the 3.08 to control wheel spin and keep it from revving up too quickly?

4. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Frizno,
    that's how it turns out for me. My truck project stalled until I completed a 1uz-5speed/supra swap for a friend and he easily destroyed my 1uz/auto cressida in friendly races. I quickly got back on the truck and completed it.

Ryno5150,
    I prefer gearing similar to the current 372 in my truck. It's perfect for the 1uz/w58 combo in it now. The gears are nice and long and it's easy to keep the motor in its power range. 4th gear pulls from 60-110 are so nice. It's were I do most of my damage on the highway. The 308 just happens to be the setup in the mustang rear as I bought it. The LSD should help with launching. It will also give me more top end.

5. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Also picked up another V8 toyota truck for cheap.
    As bought.
    [​IMG]

Wheels and replaced damaged bumpers,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was looking for a clean 4runner to do a 1uz swap into but then I discovered the Sequoia. Why go thru all that hassle when the sequoia has a V8 and is a better truck for my intended use. I love this damn truck. I got the wheels for work I did on another friends 1jz supra.

6. Ryno5150

Ryno5150 Member

Truck:
    89 2WD reg cab, 85 4Runner
    Got it. I'll be interested to hear your report of how the 3.08 feels. My pickup has the factory 8" 3.07. I may end up swapping diffs with the project 95 4Runner I just got. It has a 3.90 8"

7. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Bertha's trying to throw her weight around.
    [​IMG]

Red's never scared.

90DailyDriven likes this.
  8. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Sorry to Sound like a broken record but Dam brother this is an amazing build. NICE WORK
    Was looking for your advise seeing as how you have Plenty of these swaps under your belt, i own a 88 auto and i planning doing this 1UZ swap But do want to keep it auto. Ive found a 1995 lexus SC400 as the donor car.
    What Parts do i need to pull from it other then the Engine,Trans,Harness,TCM(trans control Mod).
    also so far as engine fitment goes other then removing the brake booster to get the engine to fit what else needed to be done? and trimming aroung the UCA's? i know you had mentioned the you had to message the pass side fire wall a bit.
    I'm planning on just buying to mounts for excessive and i guess welding something for the trans mount... idk lol haven't got that far yet...

9. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Lowtide. I think I answered your question in another post. LMK if I didn't.
    I no longer recommend excessive mounts because they mount the mount way too high. We had to cut the motor bracket off the frame and relocate it about 2 inches lower so the bellhousing would clear the tunnel and the intake manifold would clear the hood.
    [​IMG]
    With all that work we could have just reweld the motor bracket back to the frame upside down and bolt the engine directly to the frame as I did on my swap. If you look under the exhaust manifold you can see where the aluminum motor mount sits right on the flipped bracket on the frame.
    [​IMG]

A few recent pics.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm gonna drop the hammer on a new set of 18" wheels. Looking to set the truck up with a pro touring look.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    LAYNLOW likes this.
  10. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

New wheels. Ambit RE83 18x9.5 +15 with 255/35/18's all around.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gonna get some 295/35/18 for the rear soon.

11. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Damn, so don't go with the xcessive manufacturing mounts now? haha

12. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

^ I know they placed the motor way too high in the pickups. After modifying the frame mount for the engine, I had to extend the trans mount exactly 2 inches to meet the transmission mount. That part was easy.

The truth with these swaps is that there is really no drop in mount yet. Every swap will be different. I had to shorten the trans mount with my 1uz swap because I tucked the motor as close to the firewall as possible.

13. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

14. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Yotarip, did you ever put an LSD into 3rd member or did you just swap for the FORD axel? Also what did you do for the wheel hop?? i know i will be needing to do something about wheel hop when i install my S/C 3.4 as well as getting all the power on the road.

15. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    also where in the hell did you get your headlights? i cant find them any where

16. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
  17. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

^yep, those are the lights. The black ones were not available when I bought mine. I didn't want to wait so I bought the chrome and put smoke tinted vinyl over them. They are very unique. Car guys always double take when they see them. I'm gonna buy the black set for the truck and out these chrome lights on my supra.

I haven't installed the 8.8 yet. Been working on my Supra and just finally got it running perfect just in time for the final fall car meets.
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I will install the 8.8 after all the leaves have fallen from the trees in my yard because I use the truck to haul em to the dump. The wheel hop seems to been caused by blown/bad shocks. It disappeared when I install new rear shocks.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  18. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    awesome that is good to know! what kind of shocks did you end up getting if you dont mind me asking....

19. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Since I do haul everthing from leaves to engines and transmission, I installed Hijacker air shocks on her. Haven't installed the airlines because I haven't decided where I want to install the buick air compressor yet. The compressor works great with the shocks. Just haven't decided on a good spot to mount it.

20. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    gotcha! i was wondering if i needed to do traction bars