Electrical gremlins

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by jetas, Jul 18, 2014.

1. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Hey guys, im trying to get my 72.5 going, but the previous owner swapped a 20R into it but there are many wires cut from the passenger side harness.

Is there one wire to the fuses? Or are there multiple and what side of the engine bay do i need to look at?

Also there is nothing between the alt and battery. Do i just run one straight between them?

A wire diagram would be lovely but i cant seem to find one online for the second en hilux

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Ok so im starting to think whoever did the swap had no clue what they were doing. I have 8 or 9 wires cut off and not going anywhere. Theyre all from the harness coming through the passenger side of the firewall.

Heres a shot of all the wires.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone have a diagram of the fuse panel and what fuses go where? This one is torn to sh!t

The thicker white one im assuming goes straight to the battery?

Are any of these to the choke, coolant temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, oil dummy light? Or the headlights, horn or turn signals?

I dont know how many of the wires from the 18R are compatible with the 20R, trying to make semse of all this crap.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Ok so ive been trying to tackle the chopped up wiring and im starting to think i need to just;
    A. Find a OEM harness at the junkyard in better shape
    B. Purchase an aftermarket harness

If i were to get another OEM harness, are all 1972.5- 1978 the same? Im sure there was a change because if the engine change. My truck already has a 20R in it that someone swapped in. What year harness should i look for?

Has anyone used an aftermarket harness and had it successfully work?

Help me out guys.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Still havent given up. But i havent gotten very far either. Can anyone tell me what color wire goes to the oil pressure sensor and ignition coil?

5. disturbio

disturbio Enthusiast

Truck:
    1972 Yota HiLux
    I will look in the manual tonight and check. Mine are all painted over when previous owner shot it

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thanks bro. Ive been going thru the diagrams autozone has. And ive gotten rid off all the no factory wires. Its just akward because its already got a 20R swapped in im just not sure what harness is in it.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Still dealing with these issues slowly.

Can anyone tell me what color wires go to the starter solenoid, oil pressure sensor dummy light, and ignition coil?

Also what gauge wite gose from the batt to the fuse panel??

8. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    On my 90 pickup I just did the big 3 which is larger 0-4gauge wire to battery, ground, starter and alternator. You can do that.

I had a direct lead (no fuse) from power terminal to starter.

I then traced my alternator wires there were two (not counting the plug in the back). One went from alternator to fuse block (80amp) to battery. The other went into the fender area towards dash (I left that one alone. Basically I snipped off the one that went to the battery replaced it with 4gauge keeping the 80 amp fuse and left the other wire (that went toward dash) attached. If I were you I would put at least an 80 amp fuse if you don't have one from battery to alternator.

Then put 4gauge ground to both frame and block. I also added one to the body.

That's the big 3 in a nutshell. I would definitely stick with the wiring you have fixing it and just get rid of "loose end" wires. Keep hunting for a diagram and/or trace your wires.

M

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I had to do the grounds already because the PO had the battery grounded to the cylinder head and nothing to the chassis. Got some 4 gaige to the starter from the battery too. Just need to get one from the alt to the battery.

All ive had to go off of was a diagram from autozones website.

Im hoping to work on it this weekend.

10. Randy justice hilux

Randy justice hilux Newbie

What year is your truck

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    1972 second gen

12. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I just rewired my truck and I'm working out the little things now. Do you know the pinout for the wiper switch? I have used a multimeter to try and find points that close but I cant find anything but one that gives me a number in continuity mode. No beep. Thinking it could be my switch. It worked before I took out the wiring though.

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    When i wired mine up i repurposed a second fan switch i had found, only has 3 pins, 12v in and 2 outs(low, high) so my wiper motor only has 2 wires going to it. Ive very rarely had to use the wipers, literally have only had them functional for maybe a year

Pearce likes this.
  14. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    [​IMG]

Pearce and jetas like this.
  15. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    So yellow is power from fuse block. Black is speed 1 and red speed 2. The other plug is my wiper motor. Not understanding what I hook up. Is there another 12v supply that should be going to the motor other then my speed wire? Have 12v on my speed wires.

Attached Files:

16. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Your post was asking for a pin-out, correct?

The way i see it is back at the earth ground from your switch will complete the circuit, make sure you have a good ground, aka clean off any paint at that connection and them follow the checks, If the checks do not pan out, switch replacement time may be your other option. Corrosion or arced connections are like an insulation, clean any contacts first.

The switch comes apart and with a meter you can check your internal contacts, before have to spend any money...

Did you remove the spade terminals from the connector? If so recheck how they were reinstalled!!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Pearce likes this.
  17. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I figured it out. The wiper motor was isolated from the body. Had a ground pin. Running my speed wires to it and a ground. Not return home function at the moment.

18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Mine dont have the return function. But for how little i use them i doesnt bother me

Pearce likes this.
  19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    More satisfying when you turn them off at the right moment.

74RN22 likes this.
  20. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Just sucks when you forget you dont have that function and the shits stop mid windshield lol

74RN22 likes this.