shocks

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Elhuaraches, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Elhuaraches

Elhuaraches Member

Truck:
    1984 Toyota Hilux 4x4
    okay well i decided to check my shocks today and yeah they are beyond blown figures why my springs sit lower but anyhow. umm i has a two inch body lift i believe or 3'' so ive been looking around for some replacements and some say with lift ect. i wanted to go with kyb gas a just monotube shock. i use the truck primaraly on the road but occasionally like to take it offroading and i dont load it up. only time i load it up is in a blue moon. i knoe theres more expensive brands out there but what do you guys recommend concerning my lift and usage?

2. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    Having a body lift doesn't affect shock length. As long as it has stock suspension under it, order stock length replacement shocks. That said, don't expect replacing the shocks to lift the truck up. The springs are what give it the height and lift, not the shocks. If the springs are sagged out, they need to be replaced.
    If you actually take it into the dirt, I would recommend the yellow bilstien HDs. I have them on my 4runner that is my new DD and doesn't see anymore then an occasional dirt road, and I like them.
    If you dont want to spend that much, I've heard good things about the KYBs but don't personally know anyone who runs them. I would just say steer clear of procomp es3000s. I had them a long time ago and they were complete crap.

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Bilstiens in the 5125 variety will make the truck ride like a Cadillac. Best bang for the buck shock I've ever used on a 4x.

4. Elhuaraches

Elhuaraches Member

Truck:
    1984 Toyota Hilux 4x4
    is it possible to put leaf springs from other vehicles or those it have to be just for the yr make and model

5. Elhuaraches

Elhuaraches Member

Truck:
    1984 Toyota Hilux 4x4
    those 5125 series require a shock hoop modification ? only place ive seen them for sale is marlin crawler but it has a 10'' 12'' and 14'' witch would be the right one?

6. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    If you don't plan on doing mods for better suspension, I would just do a stock style replacements. You wont gain anything with only longer shocks.
    Swapping on stock leaf springs from other vehicles wont really work without some fabrication. If you are ok with that, look up the chevy 64 spring swap on google. It was a semi popular topic starting a few year ago on yotatech and a few ranger forums.

7. Elhuaraches

Elhuaraches Member

Truck:
    1984 Toyota Hilux 4x4
    i like the height it has with the body lift so far ive been able to clear most trails ive gone in. im just looking for better ride quality. once i replace the leaf springs it should be atleast a few inches higher any higher than that it will look a lil funky with 31s so eventually ill try to get some 33s

8. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I've been happy with my OME shocks. They're rated for 0-2" suspension lift.