1978 toyota pickup sr5, polished T(u)RD

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by tyrap26, Mar 14, 2015.

1. AllenB

AllenB Member

Truck:
    2003 Srunner taco and 90 v8 yoda
    Looks good I have a 78 short bed myself

2. EasNitN38

EasNitN38 Member

I just finished up the engine bay and interior in my 77. Did a full wire tuck and converted the ignition over to msd and did a gm alternator conversion if u we're gonna convert it let me know if u need any help

Killer truck man!!!!

3. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Impressive build! Wish I had time and space to work on mine.

What did you do to the dash? Mine is cracked and I don't think I will find one in the JY and even if I did, it will probably be just as bad. Did you cover the original pad with vinyl?

4. EasNitN38

EasNitN38 Member

U can get a plastic molded dash cover off eBay. I did that to my 77 and it looks and fits amazing.
    I apologize in advance if I'm thread jacking. Just trying to help out!

5. EuroTrashh

EuroTrashh Newbie

BADASS!!!! looks great. I just sold my 78 to buy my 71.. if you are interested in a 71 PM me.

6. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

I simply bought a 'dash cap' basically a plastic cap that looks close to oem dash as far as texture and look.

Thanks! And I'm still not sure what will happen to the engine...

Thank you, Sorry this little truck is not up for trade or sale. They are becoming to rare and the money I've invested already won't make the price tag appealing to anyone.

7. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

Here's the weekly update, didn't do much on it this week as I was waiting for parts... and still waiting.
    But I did a few things.
    Started with new wheels and tires. 16x8.5 0 offset, tires are 205/50 so small amount of stretch.
    The fenders and bed side got a some fenda rolla action. Nothing dramatic but enough to fix.. for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats how it sat right after, A bit lower now that the suspension settled.. I will be lifting it back up as there is not enough room for the tires at full turn and ruining the fenders is not my intention.

[​IMG]

Then followed by getting new carpet installed and picked up the new upholstered seats and door panels.
    Old carpet was actually in great shape physically but the smell!! Girlfriend requested new. Plus the new is a full length carpet which will help quiet the ride a bit and made it better looking.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took It home for the first time since the purchase march 4th

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then.... the carb crapped out.. lost idle and secondary was not opening so pretty weak.. but I had expected it, had a carb kit ready which is what I did this evening. Full rebuilt and more to come, Stay tuned.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    Really clean truck! one of the best i have seen in a while. Doing everything the right way the fitst time. no shortcuts in the long run it will be how Toyota wanted these trucks to be, a reliable vehicle to get you from point A to B then B to A.
    Crazy how a buff brings out the paint in these trucks.

9. AspireCycle

AspireCycle Member

Truck:
    1978 Longbed 5 Speed
    I'll buy the carpet from you! And the kyb's if they're in good shape. I really want to see this thing! Text me sometime. 4803261937

10. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    nice! loving this lil truck! everything about it!!

what kinda of steps and products did you use to bring the paint back like that?

11. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

Basic buffer and compound.. I have a guy at work.. buffing is an art and I'm just a tech.. he does the magic, I pay the moneys.

_Rigo_ likes this.
  12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    What wheels are those?

13. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

Those are NS Wheels, model DV2

14. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

Time for updates, I've been busy and slacking at the same time. Truck has been on the road for a few weeks now. Got the emission done and out of the way. Registration completed and classic insured.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interior is mostly done full new carpet was installed. much quieter, replaced glass run channel and door belt weather seals, need to get the sun visors and shift boot done..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made a healiner using big sheet of cardboard and headliner material
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

replaced door pins and brass bushings
    [​IMG]

Fixed interior light and got a new cover, surprisingly available at the dealer
    [​IMG]

Wood knob
    [​IMG]

Thats it for interior updates, still waiting on a rear full glass and seals.

15. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

On to the engine, my little 20r is in great shape, BUT after 10 years of sitting.. seals are gone. Not just the valve cover and pan, ALL seals are leaking.. rear main, head gasket is leaking coolant, pan, valve cover and back EGR plate.. It came at the wrong time. I had not planned on doing the engine just yet. Biting the bullet now and decided to do a 22r/20r hybrid build.

[​IMG]

Picked up a FULL 22re swap with exhaust, just for the bottom end.. and in case I wanna switch to efi in the future but most likely will be parted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Build sheet: Crane ignition, LCE pro distributor wires and loom, LCE header, custom 2.25 exhaust. (will try and salvage the exhaust that came with the swap to save $), Dual row chain conversion, pro torquer cam and new rockers, Flex fan, crank scrapper, emission delete with all LCE plates, LCE water block off plates and the piece de resistanc is dual mikuni sidedrafts carbs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mikuni PHH44 type S5
    [​IMG]

When I got the carbs the accel pump shaft on one was broken and he other was about to so had to spend some time with a very helpful friend and his machine shop to recreate the now discontinued part.

Hard to see but the tip is missing for accel pump squirt adjustment
    [​IMG]

that was the 'good' one
    [​IMG]

The adjustment portion is made out of brass, and the portion that is clipped onto the throttle shaft is soft iron. The adjustment rod treads on the L shaped shaft.
    [​IMG]

Drilling the adjustment holes
    [​IMG]

Then we used the lathe to poke a hole for the new brass adjustment rod, followed by silver soldering it together. Then back on the lathe to make a 'shoulder' for the spring to rest properly.
    [​IMG]

Assembled and fixed, 2 new rods and ready to go. Next step is to refresh the seals in both carbs.
    [​IMG]

16. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Sweet setup that truck should move out nicely!

So what are you doing with the header on the engine seeing that you bought a shorty.

17. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

Will be for sale.. along with everything else I wont be using. So far I'm only using the block itself.

18. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Awesome, I'd be all over that header and a few other items depending on your price point for sure.

I hope you're using that later model trans rather than the w50 you have now. The shifter should come through the same hole, the only difference is the mount location is about 2" further back. That's easy enough to fix and the trans will have a nicer overdrive ratio.

19. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

I had not planned on using the later trans.. haven't done any research either. Mind pointing me in a good direction?
    same overall length?
    difference is overdrive only?
    I'm guessing some of the other gears might be different as well..

The current w50 is pretty weak overall, short gears and starts screaming on the freeway.

as far as the header goes, I sell used part at about 60% of retail value when they are in great condition.
    pm your number well chat price and see what else you may need that I have.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  20. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    The ratios are pretty close if that newer trans is a w55 but it will shift smoother and there is actual aftermarket support for it.

Toyota W transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You should have 4.10's which is your main source of screaming down the highway. A W58 is a beautiful cure for the gears on the highway and the 8% taller 1-2-3 and 5th gears is awesome. I'm currently running 4.56's behind a W58 and the 1-2-3-4 shifts are very evenly spaced and extremely sporty for a silly pickup. :lol: