headgasket and torque spec questions

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by warbird, Jan 5, 2015.

1. warbird

warbird Member

so my FSM says to torque the headbolts to 58FT.LBS. final.... but i thought i had read somewhere on here a discussion about a different torque setting..... cant find it now. is the FSM correct? (new headbolts and fel-pro permatork gasket)

as far as the HG itslef goes has anybody had any problems with the permatork line from fel-pro? thats what i am using since i need to get this back together and on the road ASAP and only thing available right now....

1993 2WD pickup 22RE

2. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    The felpro gasket will either last forever or it won't. My luck with them hasn't been stellar but I've seen them last on occasion. I torque to 68 ft lbs in 2 steps.

3. warbird

warbird Member

68? i did 58 in 3 steps as stated by the FSM...... really dont wanna break the bolts or strip threads in the block..... no problems for you at 68?

4. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I always go off lc engineering torque spec sheet for everything.. they state 62ft/lbs and I do 3 stages.. works for me and haven't had a problem.

As far as felpro gaskets, I don't like there head gasket. I use engnbldrs or oem.. felpr didn't blow they just always leaked right at the front cover even after having the block surfaced with it on.

5. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Felpro for me... Cranked down used headbolts to 75ft lbs... Your discretion! Lol

6. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    OEM with 58ft lbs in 3 steps per Toyota

7. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater

The R series engine has head gasket issues just like the M series and 3vz due to factory low torque specs on the head bolts. I've ran 75 ft lbs before with no issues.

8. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    I am aware of the M series and 3.0 head problems. Never heard about the 22r engines having the same problem with factory torque specs and I work for Toyota :jawdrop:. Just reading torque specs from the factory repair manual for the OP.