calling all corner carvers

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by warbird, May 12, 2014.

1. warbird

warbird Member

okay i just picked up a 92 regular cab short bed 2wd 22re 5spd....All stock as of now. it will be my daily driver highway to and from work. i will lower it a bit no bags just static... what i really want is for it to handle well. i have slop in the steering box right now that i will adjust out. i know that these trucks are not sports cars but i would like it to hug the road a little better. i am not all that concerned with a cushy ride. previous car was a turbo fox body mustang with stiff suspension set up for cornering. so i am not afraid of a jarring ride. any advice on where to start (by the way i have not found any 1ton PU;s in salvage yards around here.) also i am on a bit of a budget. single income family of 5 so lets keep that in mind.... any ideas? throw them out.

2. Lowngbed

Lowngbed Member

Truck:
    84 single cab long bed
    New shocks. Nothing fancy just nice new replacemnt from your local parts store. If yours are old or OE doing that will dramatically increase the feel.

I did that to mine and wow. Such a difference before and after.

3. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Good shocks,poly bushings & sway bars & good tires!
    These are your starting points for handling better!:cool:

4. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Luckily, new supsension parts for these tucks are dirt cheap. Follow Truck Actions advice and add all new balljoints, draglink, tierods and pitman arms.

5. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    Install a bench seat into it thats covered in vinyl. Then slather the vinyl in armorall. It'll make you slide from side to side, giving the feeling of dramatic cornering without having to actually do dramatic cornering. :waytogo:
    Seriously, I would go with what has been mentioned above and way larger than stock swaybars. And DON'T put a topper on it. Or at least make sure its tightened down properly. not too long after buying my truck, I was Playing around one day with the kids in the truck and took a turn pretty hard... I heard a clunk and looked at the mirror to see the topper had shifted over and the back end was about 3 inches off the bed. The four little, "threaded coat hanger" mounts didn't exactly scream Ready to canyon carve.

6. Drift Disciple

Drift Disciple Enthusiast

Truck:
    95 single cab 2wd 5spd 4cyl standard bed
    I have $380 into my 1ton Swaybars and torsion bars, and I think I paid $250 for my used djm LCA's with 4" blocks, I fab'd a panhard bar and put some crown Vic wheels with 205/40 falken tires and I chase all kinds of stuff in the canyons, it's definitely the best route for static drops on the cheap, this is my daily driver/weekend canyon menace lol (lots of pics of my build on Instagram @driftdisciple)
    [​IMG]

7. warbird

warbird Member

drift disciple, thats badass man, i love that. pretty much exactly what i want... unfortunatly around here i cant find any 1ton stuff in the yards. guess its time t search they bay, gonna get killed on shipping costs though

8. Drift Disciple

Drift Disciple Enthusiast

Truck:
    95 single cab 2wd 5spd 4cyl standard bed
    I couldn't find mine local either, I actually got them from a guy in Virginia and he said it was around $60 or $80 to ship to SoCal from there. They are worth searching for though, I just installed my rear bar and this thing is stupid fast in the corners now. Just posted new pics on my build thread here under "a severely abused 95 single/short" ............trucks a 94 lol

9. TheLoLux

TheLoLux Toyotaholic

Truck:
    70 LoLux 92 CYN YOTA 84ish 4runner
    Just to add, wider wheel. I have all the some stuff every one is saying. And it a fun truck