78hilux's Build Thread

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by 78hilux, Apr 10, 2014.

1. 78hilux

78hilux Member

Truck:
    78 hilux 2wd
    Ok, I picked this truck up a couple months ago and recently started dumping 10's of dollars into it.. first started off with pace setter headers for $175 because it had a nasty leak. Also bought studs for another $40.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next, I really liked the look of the static drop trucks ive been seeing on this forum so I went ahead and bought me some crager wheels.. I went with 15x8 -19 with a 3.75 inch back space.. picked the rims up for $235 shipped but not before ordering some 195/50/15 kuhmo ecsta's off ebay for $292 shipped.. all in all I think I've done well on a cheap low offset look. I have the 3 inch drop blocks for the rear and am waiting on my mighty max springs, new balljoints(upper and lower) and new tie rods (inner and outer on both sides) threw the wheels on because I couldnt wait. I Will be dropping it within the next week when the front end parts start arriving.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. strike0ut

strike0ut Newbie

Truck:
    Hilux 1974 longbed
    Nice look, any updates?

3. 78hilux

78hilux Member

Truck:
    78 hilux 2wd
    Sorry guys, been real busy lately with a civic. I used to own it ages ago and the last owner really let it go. I had to put a new exhaust on it, find some seats and am working out cel codes with the iacv, tps, o2, yata, yata.... anyway the little truck is hanging in there and ive recieved all the parts for my drop, just havent started on it. MOOG inner/outer tie rods, upper/lower ball joints, fender mirrors and moog mighty max springs. I guess they give the truck a 2.5 in drop with no cutting so I can save my stock springs for winter:clapping:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. strike0ut

strike0ut Newbie

Truck:
    Hilux 1974 longbed
    Nice, where did you find those mirrors?

5. 78hilux

78hilux Member

Truck:
    78 hilux 2wd
    I bought em off ebay. I think I payed $40 or $50 for them. There was actual toyota fender mirrors on there as well but cost a arm and a leg..

6. 78hilux

78hilux Member

Truck:
    78 hilux 2wd
    Ok guys finally had extra time to put all the parts on besides the mirrors. Heres a few shots of the truck.. sorry for the wait.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Stay tuned..

7. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    Mmmmmm me likey. Doin a great job. Truck looks awesome, keep it up.:waytogo:

8. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Looking good! But needs more low!:waytogo:

9. 78hilux

78hilux Member

Truck:
    78 hilux 2wd
    Thanks!

10. 78hilux

78hilux Member

Truck:
    78 hilux 2wd
    I second that. I do need to go more lower. Im thinking of removing the middle leaf springs.. also found out that 67 69 camaro shocks are short body and will fit in the rear with little modifications.. for the front I might just cut 2 coils off the mighty max springs. That should put me super low. I just dont want the ugly bouncing. Lol

11. 78hilux

78hilux Member

Truck:
    78 hilux 2wd
    Ok, so the truck died on me while I was on the other side of town visiting a friend for lunch. It cranks, has spark, and will start if you put gas/starting fluid directly into the carb.. it dies shortly after. I assume its the fuel pump so I got a complete replacement from the auto parts store. Can I drop just the fuel tank? Or should I take the bed off? I know the bed is only 8 bolts and a ground for the rear trailer plug. The hardware looks shot so I really dont wanna have to buy all new bolts, washers, nuts..
    [​IMG]

12. 78hilux

78hilux Member

Truck:
    78 hilux 2wd
    So I got the bed off after breaking all the bolts.. also had to tap out all the screw holes to get the fuel pump out. Once out I realized I have a different style fuel pump (universal). Does anyone know where to get the more similar style? Like a plug and play version? And also what and where is this sender unit people speak of? My as well replace it all while I have the bed off.:brickknock:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. 78hilux

78hilux Member

Truck:
    78 hilux 2wd
    Any part numbers or advice would be much appreciated! !!

14. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I got my fuel pump at Napa, I think.

The sending unit is the box 2inches above the pump with a pivoting rod and float attached to it.. Good luck finding a new one, I tried since mine doesn't work less then 3/4 and nobody has one! If you find a place with them buy me one too!!!

15. 78hilux

78hilux Member

Truck:
    78 hilux 2wd
    Wow, didnt know thw sending unit is that hard to find. Ill keep trying but damn.. so what would be my best alternative route if the sender or relay is bad?y haynes does not mention this relay..

16. 78hilux

78hilux Member

Truck:
    78 hilux 2wd
    I ruled out the fuel pump relay as good. I put my ear next to it with a finger on it and it clearly clicks over when the ignition is turned on. Tomorrow Im gonna search local auto parts stores to find the exact replacement fuel pump. Hopefully its not the sending unit:thinking:

17. 78hilux

78hilux Member

Truck:
    78 hilux 2wd
    If my fuel gauge works does that mean my sending unit is good? I just installed my new pump and it still wont start. Its not sending fuel thru the line or filter.. some advice would be much appreciated! !!

18. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I bet you pump relay is bad.. Mine would work sometimes, I just wired in a switch in its place.. Havnt had a problem since.

If your gauge works your sender unit is good.

19. 78hilux

78hilux Member

Truck:
    78 hilux 2wd
    Ok, my relay is good. It was my sending unit. I bypassed the sending unit and plugged everything in. It works fine now and starts every time. Only catch is my fuel tank reads full all the time. There is no replacement sending unit which is lame but o well. As long as she drives im cool.:clapping:

20. beaver50

beaver50 Member

Truck:
    77,TOYOTA STOUT,00,CHEVY, S10
    I got a direct replacement pump from Advanced auto plug and play.It was $61.95 I just put it in Monday.