'82 handling

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by JtWo, Mar 13, 2014.

1. JtWo

JtWo Newbie

I'm completely new to tuning mini trucks. I bought an 82 last year and it's currently in the shop for a light resto(just cutting out rust, skim coating the body, paint jambs and exterior, and linex) and I'm going to need to work on the suspension. I definitely want to lower it, but how would I approach it in a way to improve handling enough to the point where I can use this as a canyon carver when my s14 needs repair?

2. TheLoLux

TheLoLux Toyotaholic

Truck:
    70 LoLux 92 CYN YOTA 84ish 4runner
    Get some bigger sway bars

3. eighty_D

eighty_D Member

Truck:
    '79 SR5 2wd lwb
    79-86 Supra LSD (w weir perf. kit) and brakes, 84+ front suspension swap, 89+? 2wd disks, 4wd calipers and?
    Belltech rear leafs and drop spindles, panhard rod or Watts link. 1ton or sway-a-way torsions.belltech, 4runner? or 1ton sway bars.(3/4"R/1"F) Street tacos or fabbed low profile bumpstops, new bushings, flush brake system and fill w/dot4, new/upgraded brake lines. Belltech or adapted shorter stroke shocks. Some sort of solidly attatched ballast over the rear axle. Going super low isn't the key, maintaining suspension geometry and maximizing weight transfer to the inside rear tire while being able to absorb bumps without losing tire contact will provide the highest corner exit speeds.

4. eighty_D

eighty_D Member

Truck:
    '79 SR5 2wd lwb
    79-86 Supra LSD (w weir perf. kit) and brakes, 84+ front suspension swap, 89+? 2wd disks, 4wd calipers and?
    Belltech rear leafs and drop spindles, panhard rod or Watts link. 1ton or sway-a-way torsions.belltech, 4runner? or 1ton sway bars.(3/4"R/1"F) Street tacos or fabbed low profile bumpstops, new bushings, flush brake system and fill w/dot4, new/upgraded brake lines. Belltech or adapted shorter stroke shocks. Some sort of solidly attatched ballast over the rear axle. Going super low isn't the key, maintaining suspension geometry and maximizing weight transfer to the inside rear tire while being able to absorb bumps without losing tire contact will provide the highest corner exit speeds.