77 motor mount

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Arpegius, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Arpegius

Arpegius Member

Truck:
    1977 Pickup SR5
    Ok so has anybody else had a horrible time replacing the motor mounts on this particular model? I have spent hours trying to do this seemingly simple job. I must be doing it all wrong.

So After a couple hours I got the passenger side mount in, now the driver side is off by about 1 inch.

photo.jpg
    This is a picture of the passenger motor mount installed.

photo 1.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    These are images of the mount and you can see that the large threaded bolt is lower than the hole it needs to go in by about 1-1.5 inches.

How the crap am I suppose to get it in line if I cannot move the engine anymore? Things are getting a bit tight against the firewall.

I must be doing this all wrong. And the Haynes manual sure does suck a whole butt when it comes to this.

2. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Have you tried unbolting it from the block? Then it's just up and down alignment not diagonal chaos..

3. Arpegius

Arpegius Member

Truck:
    1977 Pickup SR5
    Yeah. Steps of execution (numerical):
    1. I removed the entire assembly (mount, metal cup, and four bolted bracket to the block) from the passenger side with the engine lifted just slightly.

2. I then took the pieces apart, inserted the new mount and tried to put it all in as one unit. That proved to be difficult lining up the four bolts to the block because I now have about 3/4 inch of new rubber on that mount.

3. Took the pieces back out and took them apart.

4. Installed the mount and metal cup/cap on its own.

5. Fit the bracket to the engine block but it was off quite a bit. About the same inch or so that I'm faced with now on the driver side.

6. Unbolted the two mount bolts on the driver side mount to the body of the truck. This gave it the room it needed for the passenger side to wiggle into place when I started jacking it up.

7. Raised and lowered the driver side of the engine to shimmy the passenger mount large bolt into the hole on the bracket attached to the block.

8. Yahoo! It popped into place. But not the driver side mount bolts (the two that are on the base plate of the actual mount) are off by half inch.

9. Attempted the same steps 1-7 for the driver side, but this side was unsuccessful.

I have done what seems to me all combinations of install. My brain is fried. I would tell you how long I've been working on this, but I might embarrass myself. So here I am. Left with a crooked engine, pinching the throttle linkage against the firewall, fan above the shroud about 2 inches, and an engine mount bolt that won't find it's home.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

4. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    B.F.H. :waytogo: that's the last thing I can think of..

5. Arpegius

Arpegius Member

Truck:
    1977 Pickup SR5
    Just to ease all worry you might be having, I'm sure you all have been utterly restless just wondering. Your prayers have been answered. I have succeeded. Job completed. I hope to never do that again. first80toyota thanks for the help. I did end up having to undo the mount bolts on the passenger side to get the engine to wiggle in place. A lot of trial but hours later it's back together.

6. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Just gotta have all the bolts in floppy loose to get it started. Sometimes the rubber needs to be stretched a bit. I've had trouble lining old combos back up. A screw driver or pry bar helps to line up and pin the hold to the frame pad.