22re-T!

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Kev55, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

Hey everyone! I want to put a turbo on my 180k mile yota!

I know there are other options with doing different engine swaps.. but I think the power to weight is fine where it is, I just want more pick up on the acceleration. And I know the 22re already came with a turbo version so im pretty confident my lil motor can handle it. I plan on staying within 5-7lb, and rebuiding the head during the process.

Im on a budget so Im looking at my cheaper options... But still id like to find a quality turbo, probably used..
    The difficult part is finding an OEM turbo manifold, that would be ideal!
    Then my friend can weld up the tubing and I could put a small inter-cooler somewhere if i really even need to..

Toyota 22RE Factory Turbo Manifold | eBay
    I found this used manifold on ebay that I was kind of considering because of the price and that its an actual OEM.. but it has a crack.... Ive heard that its bad to weld on a manifold that was cast to be made..because it now has an uneven strength in metal making it more likely to crack in a surrounding area...

but i feel like this will never go under any real heavy stress like if i was racing the thing.. so it wouldnt be crazy if I just maybe welded along the crack... i mean if it breaks... it breaks..
    I still have my stock manifold and Ill just take the turbo off and drive with out again if i had to? :waytogo:

Im trying to find a good turbo for this application. I heard of people putting a turbo from saab car and it worked great.. so what other options for a turbo do i have besides just buying an aftermarket turbo?

Also besides the actual turbo being installed.. what else would the truck need? do i need larger injectors? do I need to replace any electronic sensors or computers? Is it neccessary i take it to someone after to get "tuned?"

Im looking for some feed back, so this can come out working right and I can start getting a parts list together.

thanks!

2. 86extTURBO

86extTURBO Veteran

Truck:
    1986 ext cab Turbo
    There's a huge difference between the two motor I would go on lcengineering and 22rettrucks.com and do some research the motors are pretty different

3. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    there are a couple people on here that had build threads on what they used for their 22ret builds... you will likely need a piggyback ecu, better injectors, etc to support the turbo.....

the cracked manifold id stay away from.... its just more trouble than its worth.

you may want to look into a remote mount turbo where you can still run a standard header... like mentioned above, 22rettrucks is a good source for info, so is lcengineering.

4. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Think you be better of making your own kit around the 22re sourcing 22ret parts would be difficult ish
    Like 86ext sad there are differences between the two motors And won't be a walk in the park on a budget ... Making a sts rear mount kit for this truck seems extremely simpler design with all the room under the bed mounting would be a breeze

5. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Ever drive a 22ret? Boring! (In stock form anyway)

Only one thing is cheap a horsepower maker..... Nitrous.

I've sprayed my 4 cyl mercedes with 100 and 150 horsepower. I'm positive a 22r could at least do that. I would put the kit on my hybrid but its not set up for a carb application. I already tear up driveshafts and motor mounts though.

You will have that problem too if it makes power regardless of how. So be prepared.

6. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

Yeh you guys pretty much talked me out of it...

Ill just rebuild the head and keep her purring.
    Like my pops always said... treat it like a soar dick...don't **** with it!!