Disc conversion

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by integra2nr, Jul 11, 2013.

1. integra2nr

integra2nr Member

Truck:
    74 Hilux Long Bed
    I have a '74 hilux that I am gathering the parts for a front disc conversion. My question, what master cylinder do you use? And what about a proportioning valve?

2. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    I went through a heck of a process finding the right booster/master for the swap. I ended up using a later model (76-79) 2 bolt master and prop valve on a modified celica booster. The booster from the later model doesn't clear the clutch slave.. way to big around. So I used the backing plate from the stock hilux booster and put on a 74 celica booster front. The end result was no modification to the firewall, a booster that fits and a master that works great. I think I may switch to an adjustable prop valve in the future however because I tend to lock the rears pretty easily now.

Honestly.. if you aren't ready for 20+ hours of really frustrating work.. just get new shoes and drums front and rear and keep driving that way.. would have saved me a ton of headache.

3. integra2nr

integra2nr Member

Truck:
    74 Hilux Long Bed
    Can you put up some pics?

4. gearheadshirts

gearheadshirts Member

Truck:
    72 Hilux + 74 Celica
    What do you want pics of? Somewhere there are some from the assembly of the booster but it's basically what I said before.. pry the back plate off of the stock booster and the celica booster (pretty easy to track one of those down I imagine. I think Cary is on this board but definitely someone on 1stGenCelica.com • Index page would have one) It's all put together now but let me know if there are any pics I can take for you.. im about to swap wheels so it'll be a good time to get a look at the calipers and rotors but it doesn't look much different than the later model that you would get the parts from :)

5. integra2nr

integra2nr Member

Truck:
    74 Hilux Long Bed
    Pics of the master/booster setup and of caliper/ spindles/rotors?

6. Rcksqrl

Rcksqrl Enthusiast

Truck:
    '85 4Krawler, '67 Stout
    I thought the hilux came with discs....

7. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    75+ trucks had disk up front

8. 1970gmc4x4

1970gmc4x4 Newbie

is used everything from a 78 toyota, the front spindles, the booster, master cylinder, and proportioning valve, had to move the clutch cylinder over like 3/4" in the firewall, but is wasn't that hard, never even disconnected the line, drill some new holes, got everything to clear, put some silicon over the part of the original hole that was now exposed, and i was good to go, that way i just have all 78 toyota stuff, and my brakes are way better

9. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    For the brake booster, the best route is to take a 81 style booster, which is 4 bolts. And it's matching master. Use a 75-78 prop valve and bracket, alot the 2 holes a hair and they fit the lower of the 4 master bolt holes. They booster is much narrower and won't hit the clutch slave. Also gives inner fender clearance. Then if you ever swap to rear disc you can change masters to match on the later style booster.

You will need that little spacer off the hilux booster to clear the pinch weld on the firewall though. And sometimes a longer cross pin for the pedal if you have carpet. Since that brings the floor up an inch and the pedal bottoms out early. I did the same to my clutch to raise it. Nissan trucks had a longer part there.

10. blueline54

blueline54 Member

Truck:
    1971 RN12
    @gearheadshirts - I bought a booster for a 74 Celica, but the design is different. Before I start tearing things apart, is this what you started with?

[​IMG]