CodyX36's 1972 Hilux, soon to be 2RZ swapped, Build Thread

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by CodyX36, Mar 17, 2013.

1. flip

flip Newbie

Truck:
    Rn10(1970)
    Hello CodyX36

I like your crest bumper.If you not used. Please tell me. I will buy or you can't find some part of your Hilux. You can tell me.because I can find some part in Thailand.

2. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    tyme_fo_play, I'll let you know when I get rid of any.

flip, by crest do you mean front? When the whole truck is done and I part ways with one of the spares, I can let you know. How good of parts can you track down?

3. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    Update,

Still waiting on the rear blocks. Hopefully will be here shortly. Didn't think it would take this long.

Haven't got around to measuring those front shocks yet, lol sorry guys. Once they go in though, I'll compare to stock ones and be sure to get some sizes.

I did order some wheels! I've told some, but my main inspiration on this was toydatto and his truck (http://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/build-up-project-threads-19/project-1971-hilux-5108/), pretty much the reason I sold my '76 and tracked down a RN10. The wheels he ended up going with, the Enkei 92's were one of those things that made that truck stand out to me. Found a shop on Ebay selling 15x7 w/ 0 offset (actually a replica wheel, but identical), but the lug pattern was 5x120 instead of 5x114, they did say on their ad they did other sizes and lug patterns, so I call them up and they said they can do it. Not sure if that meant they had the wheels with that pattern or if they were going to do some re-drilling. Anyways, they are the same color and offset that he had, and I hate to look like the guy who is just copying him, but I think they look awesome on these trucks, love the retro mesh look. Pictures of the wheels from the Ebay ad.

[​IMG]

Also went over to eastern Washington and camped this past weekend for Memorial Day. Hit up the sand dunes with the truck and the quads, drink, have a good time, enjoy the sun, etc. Snapped a picture of my '88 with the soft topper on and did some phone editing of it, really liked how it turned out.

[​IMG]

Again, updates to come. Thanks for looking.

4. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    I don't think toydatto would mind a bit if you copied his look. He had 70s benz hub caps on stock rims for a while too. It would be like me hating somebody for having Probe wheels on a 2nd gen. lol. 4runner looks good. Keep up the work on the little lux.

5. kmghawaii

kmghawaii Enthusiast

Truck:
    1969 Hilux
    sick man! so you bought those american racing wheels? ill PM you about these other wheels i had an eye on!

6. bendiesel

bendiesel Member

Truck:
    83 locked and geared and 88 runner mild daily driver
    runner looks sic!

7. flip

flip Newbie

Truck:
    Rn10(1970)
    Thank you so much.
    Yes. I want your front crest.You can see attached file (red circle).
    If you can't find some part in your country,you can tell me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  8. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    Thanks for the compliments guys!

flip, I'll let you know on that. Come the restoration I don't think I'll want them on there but for the time being, it's going to stay. Any chance you can track down a decent conditioned dash pad?

Update:

For the ones who wanted the measurements of the Tokico Camaro shocks, here they are at full extension, didn't get any of them compressed. Came out to about "17 inches long total, not sure yet what those compare to the stock ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheels came in yesterday also, they are the Enkei 92 replicas made by American Racing. 15x7 and with the 0 offset they'll fit pretty flush to the fender which I love. Tires ordered yesterday also, should hopefully be here soon, here are some photos of the mock up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went to put in the blocks today that I ordered from Brian at Street Tacos, great products, but couldn't keep them in because the u-bolts were too short. Couldn't get the nut even filled with threads, and that's not even including the washers that are supposed to go in between the plate. Is this right? I suppose I can take a leaf out but that still wouldn't seem like much space. I sent Brian an email so hopefully I get a response soon. Unfortunately this might mean lowering will be on hold for now. Going to try to get the front suspension in sometime this week then do the rear when I hear back from him. Photo of the issue.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking guys.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  9. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

Change your springs to half ton springs or remove 3 leaf, you'll then be able to fit the u-bolts on. In my opinion, the 1 ton springs sit too low towards the ground with 6 leaf and all, I once busted majority of my u bolts from debris/rock/curbs on the road using 1ton leaf and 3in blocks(had to cut them off when I did 1/2 ton leaf)

1/2 tons leaf can be found on any 75-so on as long as front hole to center mount is 21in. And by the way, 1/2 tons are indentifyable by 3 leaf.

10. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    I'd rather remove some of the current ones than have to buy ones. Which 3 would I remove in this case? Also, will that cause more drop than the 3" from the blocks?

Edit, thanks for the info, I didn't really know that!

11. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

Np, I have no clue which 3 leaf to remove from the leaf spring, someone might chime in on which leafs to remove on the 1 ton leaf spring.

My best educated guess would be leaf 3,4,5.

I rid my original cause they squeaked a lot. I happened to have a 75 set laying around so I used those. *Between 1 and 1/2, the 1/2 will be lower about 1-2 inches.

12. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    I emailed Brian at StreetTacos and I'm going to send him photos tomorrow, he also said I should remove 3 of them.

When you say #3, #4 and #5... Is that #1 leaf being the top one and #6 being the bottom? Or other way around. Okay, well if I go a little lower that's fine, I'll maybe have to just do some front coil trimming to level it out.

13. standardbyker88

Truck:
    If the tires don't tuck its not low enough :D For an extra little drop, pull 3/4/6. To get slightly less, pull 4/5/6. top is #1.

14. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    I'll be fine going down another inch or inch and a half. But I don't want to go down like 3 or 4 haha. So, 4 5 6 being both overloads and the bottom of the top 4?

15. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Correct. The arced leafs being removed will flatten the pack. That drops the truck. Take out the thickness you need for the u bolts. The overloads wont effect height unloaded.

16. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    Gotcha, so #4, #5 and #6, in other words the 3 bottom ones, will be removed. I'll do that and put the blocks back in and see how it works out, thanks!

17. standardbyker88

Truck:
    While you're under there, throw some paint around. Rustoleum brand paint in a can works awesome. Holds up great. And its oil based, so you can paint right over the filth lol. Satin black works real nice on frames. Just brush it on thick and it'll really clean up the "20 feet away" image of the truck. Sorta make it all vanish.

18. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    Got a text reply from Brain at StreetTacos,

"From the top going down...I'd remove #2 & #4, then also the very bottom one with the clamp. Then flip the thick overload that'll be on bottom upside down like a frown instead if a smile like it is now."

"That'll make your packs identical to 80's & 90's trucks with stock packs. Should ride much better."

I'll do that this evening and take some photos.

19. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    Truck lowered, wheels and tires put on. A bit busy today so I can't post many pictures or talk, but will within the next couple days. Here's one photo. Hope to see some of you at the old school reunion show tomorrow.

[​IMG]

20. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    My god. Lowering made it so much more beautiful, and it was pretty before.