exhaust systems, whats good?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by rida4christ, Apr 12, 2013.

1. rida4christ

rida4christ Member

hi new here been shopping around for a new exhaust system for my 95 toyota pickup 22re i want headders and kat back get some power yet be able to be smog legal is this possible?

2. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    You could probably call the guys at lceperformance.com and have them recommend something. Pretty sure they have good bolt-on kits for that.

Next, look into a cam and head swap.

3. kamesama980

kamesama980 Addict

Truck:
    91 Base
    If you're in California and want to stay legal, check out the CARB website, they list every part approved for use there. Alas I don't have a direct link because I'm in a non-emissions area and keep forgetting to save it when someone posts it.

4. rida4christ

rida4christ Member

Cool thanx, that's is exactly what I need info on what to upgrade without a negative affect on smog issues.

5. rida4christ

rida4christ Member

Carb websites?

6. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Carb as in legal certified tested and documented parts that are approved for use in emissions controlled city's or states

Pretty sure lc has this certification on some of there products and there are mufflers out there that have this as well if not most of them . Either way just keep up with the stickers or paper work that comes with them and should have no prob passin visual and emissions

7. rida4christ

rida4christ Member

Thanx again, I was trying to search for any builts here simple like cam, intake, exhaust system? The purpose for my pickup is to have a daily driver with a bit of kick stay legal and reliable. Don't need crazy power I got my 86 mkii supra for that:) any info would help thanx.

8. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    check your smog laws. things get a little tricky.

for anything not involving emissions, use 2.25" exhaust piping, it is optimal for our motors.

You have all sorts of mufflers you can use, I prefer the Magnaflow over the Flowmasters anyday. Build quality, performance (flow through exhaust vs chambered), and the sound is delivered deep yet smooth without a tinny, reverberating sound.

If you ever need to get a new o2 sensor, check out rockauto and find the correct denso 02 sensor.
    Toyota wanted $180, I got mine for $60, same exact part plug and play.
    Bosch parts are inferior and designed incorrectly, it won't work with our trucks, the sensor protrudes too short.

as for exhaust manifolds, it depends on your smog area and if it's legal or not.

9. rida4christ

rida4christ Member

ok i got in contact with Ted from engbuilder.com and he recommended 261C or 268C/torkr camshafts for 4-6% gain and he told me to go with Thorley headers part#THY-555Y-C, and suggested Ted: "As far as performance, there is far more to gain by increasing the pipe size to 2" all the way to the muffler and 2 1/4" on exit all the way back."

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  10. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Engnbldr cam will give u a little bump in the low range .good in the city cam were low rpm is needed As far as exhaust that setup will work and I second the use of magnaflow. Quality muffler for a fair price .. The shorter ones are ill bit louder so if u want a quieter exhaust get a longer muffler or add a resonater to help it. these mods should have no prob passing emissions ... I believe the thorly header is 50 state legal

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  11. not forgotten

not forgotten Addict

Truck:
    82 SR5 L/B
    I got my entire new exhuast system from LCE and highly recomend them, all magnaflow. Had it painted a high heat flat black including the manifold, love it.

12. rida4christ

rida4christ Member

Awesome! !!!! Thanx! !!!! :-D