79' Hilux V2

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by HOSHPOSH, Mar 12, 2013.

1. HOSHPOSH

HOSHPOSH Enthusiast

Truck:
    83' Hilux(sold), 88' Fordyota(sold), 79' Hilux(sold)
    Truck failed smog twice with a high Hydrocarbon at 25. Running lean. No vacuum leaks. Compression seems good. Only option was carb and at 25 main jet is already open. So I just ordered a weber 32/36 CA legal smog kit. The old carb was finnicky and running on steam anyways.

[​IMG]

Hopefully this will to the trick and give me better MPG :) and a little GO

2. not forgotten

not forgotten Addict

Truck:
    82 SR5 L/B
    Congrats on the new carb, you'll be very happy with it. I was in the same boat with my stock carb, nothing but problems with that thing, I remeber the last time I drove it with the stock carb I was going down a sode road about 45 and it started coughing and shaking, the damn thing was having a heart attack. Got the weber 32/36 shortly after and have had zero poblems with it since.

3. white93turbotruck

white93turbotruck Enthusiast

sweet stance man!!!

4. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    HOLY $H!T HOSH!!!!! Dang man i been away for a while but your truck looks sweet. Now your making me rethink the whole 89-94 truck and might have to get me one of those. Well done bro. Cant wait to be back in the scene to.

5. HOSHPOSH

HOSHPOSH Enthusiast

Truck:
    Thanks for all the support guys! Got the suspension all dialed in and is happily sitting lower and quite a bit more solid. No hitting frame, and torsion bars are cranked another inch from a BJ flip. May order drop spindles soon.

The bad news. The carb kit I got came with everything smog legal EXCEPT the damn carb. Had all the vacuum ports I needed for smog factory capped. So I am in a fight with the seller trying to get the right carb or my money back. Was a bit of a drag and quite a waste of my time and effort today, but everyone knows how **** goes with the things. Always have to be ready for the worst. I will be taking my camera with me tomorrow to get my right height adjusted properly and will grab pictures of everything that has been done. Full update over the weekend. Thanks!

-Josh

Attached Files:

6. HOSHPOSH

HOSHPOSH Enthusiast

Truck:
    So after lots of blood, sweat, and tears the suspension is finished. The rear we added a flipped overload. Got a 3rd member and deep frame notch. Converted the front to an 88 suspension with a BJ flip. Rides way better. Cruised all day and only hit the cat in a few places. Totally daily driveable. Finally got pictures. If you have any questions hit me up!
    :drunk:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dagnisaun

dagnisaun Enthusiast

looks awesome!

8. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    Looks great. How hard was the suspension upgrade in the front? I didnt know it was able to be done. Other then a carb what is next. Great work you done to the ride.

9. hood

hood Enthusiast

Truck:
    1982 Toyota Pickup, 1994 Toyota Hilux
    Nice n low! Awesome good stuff.

What parts did you use for the front suspension swap?

10. HOSHPOSH

HOSHPOSH Enthusiast

Truck:
    The suspension upgrade was a horrible nightmare. But we got it done, which is all that matters. Just needs a good alignment to be set. The carb is up in the air and I never got in the drop leafs or spindles. First thing is smog. Next up is some nice seats and a carpet kit. Then from there I don't know. I had an immediate direction for the truck and now everything else is just icing on the cake. Upgrades have to be tasteful and clean, yet unique so it will take me some time to figure out what's next on the line.

For the front suspension swap I used 88 upper arms, spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, caster rods, upper ball joints and end links. I used 92' lower arms and lower ball joints. Stock torsion ends. I did the lower BJ flip and added 1/4" spacers on top. Also threw in 4x4 torsion bars from 79-83 to stiffen the ride height. Along with all the lowness bumpstops were pulled and toxic shocks for an S10(shorter) were thrown in.

11. HOSHPOSH

HOSHPOSH Enthusiast

Truck:
    Had to call it quits halfway through putting some seats in for a family get together. Before you ask, I don't know what car these seats originally came from. Got them out of a retrofitted 510. 0 of the 4 holes lined up. Nothing that a drill and new bolts cannot fix.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. HOSHPOSH

HOSHPOSH Enthusiast

Truck:
    Just got the interior buttoned up for now. Threw in the other seat, cut the console, and threw some speakers down the middle. Looks a whole lot better until I can make $hit official with a carpet kit and a new shift boot!
    [​IMG]

13. kingtacoma951

kingtacoma951 Addict

Truck:
    88 SR5 Xtra Cab
    this thread makes me get another truck...:(...keep it up man love the stance:waytogo:

14. hood

hood Enthusiast

Truck:
    1982 Toyota Pickup, 1994 Toyota Hilux
    Thanks for sharing that info, how are you going to attack the roof?

15. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Nice work. one question though, With all the time and money spent on it, How do you and all the other guys insure it ? What I am getting at is if you have regular insurance and it is in a moderate crash and the Ins totals it you are gonna get a grand if lucky. I used classic insurance on mine with a 5,000 dollar cash payout if totaled but it can't be driven daily...Limited use policy. Which is fine for me as I am older and don't want to drive it all the time. But I am wondering for the future when me Kids start to drive ????

Thanks,
    22R88

16. HOSHPOSH

HOSHPOSH Enthusiast

Truck:
    I'm going to wait until it rains and if I am dry then I'll leave it be for some time. Probably looking at swapping the cab if I can find one cheap and get the manpower and weekend to swap it. Trust me I know it's ugly. But it can be addressed later.

I just use regular insurance with minimal everything. I know the way I drive and I won't crash into anybody. And if anyone crashes into me their insurance is liable. The only thing I do have is uninsured motorist, because a plethora of illegal drivers love this town.

17. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    Those seats kinda look like ford probe seats I think... I could tell ya if I looked at em in person...

18. HOSHPOSH

HOSHPOSH Enthusiast

Truck:
  19. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    Love the video bro. I see the first couple pics up top your at yankees house right?

20. yankeetaco72

yankeetaco72 Veteran

Truck:
    82 short /97 Tacoma
    That's right.. Man we need you back in the game James...