'yota driver from Spokane.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Hazard, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Hazard

Hazard Member

Truck:
    '77 Pickup (automatic)
    Hello all. I've been looking around at some of these cool lowered trucks and other modifications. I must say I am impressed, especially at that orange one from AZ (sorry, don't remember who's it was) with the custom welded frame and new engine.

Currently, I drive an 85 Nissan pulsar as my DD, but I hope to soon have the '77 yota fixed up. It'll get (from what I've read) about the same mileage as the pulsar, and it's an automatic, so much nicer as a DD.

my father really got a deal on it. It had been stolen in the Seattle area (several years ago) and when the owner saw it, he didn't believe it could make the drive back, so he gave it to my father (manager of a gas/auto repair station).

It's in rough condition, but it shouldn't bee too much work before it can drive again.

Beyond fixing it up and driving it, I don't have any plans for it at this point. Eventually, though, I'd like to get it repainted. The faded green it is is nice, but when green stuff coats your towel when you wipe it off, there's a problem. (unless that's normal for original paint?)

No pics yet, sorry.

2. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest

Welcome! Lets' see some pics.

3. Hazard

Hazard Member

Truck:
    '77 Pickup (automatic)
    Obligatory picture. The inside isn't presentable at this point (nor do the wasps in the doors want me there.)
    [​IMG]

4. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Welcome!
    Early trucks are very rare around here!!:cool:

5. Hazard

Hazard Member

Truck:
    '77 Pickup (automatic)
    Thanks.

What's odd is that I know a guy not 20 miles from me who's got a running '77 the same color as mine. (or, at least, it was running the last time I saw it.)

We used to have an '87 manual as well, but it got sold a few years back.

6. 85Toyota

85Toyota Addict

Truck:
    '85 Toyota 22R s-cab
    Welcome, bud ... That's a good lookin' truck ... The body looks pretty straight ... Is it like that all the way around ??? There's one that looks just like that runnin' around here, but the guy who drives it beats the crap out of it ... Breaks my heart ... Keep the picz comin' ... :cool:

7. 1982rn34

1982rn34 Addict

Truck:
    1982 SR5 RN34
    Welcome! Again, it's nice to see another RN20 being saved from the scrap yard.

Have fun with your project!
    Rick

8. Hazard

Hazard Member

Truck:
    '77 Pickup (automatic)
    The floorboard in the cab's got some moderate rust. The bed, on the other hand, has rusted through in a few places near the cab. Other than that, only body issues are the dents in the hood and the mirror that got knocked off. (both by my father dropping a small tree on it, during the time we used it as a lumber truck on our property) I can't fit underneath to get a good look, but from what I can see, everything underneath except the rubber thing that holds the exhaust pipe in place looks sound as well.

9. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Drag that thing outta the weeds and tear into it se what your workin with . Wasp get some of those bug bombs and go Rambo on them

10. Hazard

Hazard Member

Truck:
    '77 Pickup (automatic)
    As of right now, I know it needs something for the fuel (only stays running if you pour gas in the engine. Probably the pump, but not sure.) and a new idler arm.

The seat is in rough shape, but that's farther down the road. First thing is to get that 20r ...uh... purring again.
    As for the wasps in the doors, I'm going to go at 'em with a can of raid in each hand.

11. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Yea the carb could be gummed up with Bad gas float could be stuck things get funky when they sit shouldn't be a big problem might remove the carb possibly get a rebuild kit or weber conversion or just clean it up with some kerosene .

12. Hazard

Hazard Member

Truck:
    '77 Pickup (automatic)
    By the way, my dad wants me to buy it from him before I start driving it/doing work on it.

Considering the condition, which includes the rust (which is a bit worse than I had first thought in the cab, but not all the way through anywhere inside) and what work needs done on it, is $175 a good deal for it plus a used (but working) battery?

13. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Yea man I think that's fair if u really want to fix it up that's a pretty low price

14. DannyBoy

DannyBoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    91 xcab
    thats a nice truck! good find. its worth 300 at scrap so 175 is awesome.

15. Immoreradthanu

Immoreradthanu Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 long bed
    Where at in spokanistan do you hail from? I'm off the lower south hill area if you ever want to meet u p or anything. Welcome to the site btw and i'm diggin the truck so far!

16. vandall

vandall Newbie

Truck:
    72 Hilux
    SAVE THE PAINT! I think it looks great and you can make it look much better with some work. They only have a true patina once.. I guess the early trucks are lacquer paint (single stage, no clear coat) - esp if the color comes off easily. So in that case it is normal to see the green on the towel. What you can do is wash it really well, then preferably "clay bar" the paint which pulls all the nastiness out of it before polishing. Then you can use any good polish like Nufinish, Mothers, Meguairs, Griot's or if it's really bad maybe even 3M polishing compound. Just make sure to use a random orbital and not a single axis buffer/polisher! You will see a lot of green on the pad but you will also see the paint start to look much better. Then as soon as that is done put a coat or 5 of quality wax on it with the orbital. Keep it waxed regularly and the paint won't be coming off like before.

After a day of work it will look amazing. If you want any more unsolicited advice I'd be happy to help! :D oh, and for $175 that is a screaming deal

17. 84Toy

84Toy Member

Truck:
    84 Reg Cab RN5
    Haha, I'm up by Northtown Mall, if you want to chill and check out my 84 that needs a front end... among other things.

18. '80yota

'80yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    '80 Sr5 Long bed
    Im north in 5mile area with my 67 stout and 86 lifted on 35s.... Definitely need a meet soon.

19. Immoreradthanu

Truck:
    79 long bed
    Hey i know this thread is old but whose down for a meet still? Would love to do one meet some of the locals! Find some wrenchin buddies!

20. Immoreradthanu

Truck:
    79 long bed
    Nvm i am a doofus it is not old!