Colorado '66 Stout

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by blindlemon77, Aug 28, 2012.

1. blindlemon77

blindlemon77 Newbie

Truck:
    '66 Stout
    Hello mini people. I just bought a '66 Stout and am going to be (slowly) getting it ship shape. I always loved Stouts, especially seeing pics of that gray Japanese one on bags.. you guys have probably seen those pictures. Anyway, never thought id see one let alone buy one. One day my brother was working in the pizza shop and a guy came in and was talking to him about his Cressida and mentioned something about having a Stout.. and now its in my driveway.

She is a bit battle scarred, but beautiful just the same. Runs like a dream, starts better than my far newer nissan. At the moment its got wires popping out the seems putting a universal wiring harness in.

Heres some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the moment i am a bit hung up on wiring the alternator/voltage regulator. I may have ripped out the old wiring a bit hastily, and i realized i have never used an externally regulated alternator, let alone wired one.

2. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Welcome looks like u have a collection of classic cars there welcome to the form there may be a few on here that can comment on reworking the wire harness and chasing down bugs

3. goingnowherefast

goingnowherefast Enthusiast

Truck:
    1965 Stout
    Looks good. Mine never ran and had lots of rust. Have a few contacts for some parts, ie fender and front nose cone. I'll'find the info and send it in pm.

4. 85Toyota

85Toyota Addict

Truck:
    '85 Toyota 22R s-cab
    NICE !!! I couldn't be as lucky to find one of those around here ... :cool:

5. The Crowing

The Crowing Enthusiast

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Pickup
    Man that is one happy Stout. What part of CO do you live in? I'm on thhe northern side, Greeley.

6. Hazard

Hazard Member

Truck:
    '77 Pickup (automatic)
    Looks like you've got some work ahead of you, but it'll be worth it in the end. You'll be glad you did, and so will the truck.

7. blindlemon77

blindlemon77 Newbie

Truck:
    '66 Stout
    Yeah i think it will be a little while. Having some issues with the alternator/voltage reg now because i was an idiot and pulled the connections off. May end up throwing a newer internally regulated alt on there.

I'm in Grand Junktown on the western slope.

My buddy with a shop is trying to convince me i should throw a 2jz in it. I think that sounds like pure madness haha. I may end up just pausing on the wiring until i can throw it on a newer toyota truck frame, which was the plan. save me from doing things twice.

8. blindlemon77

blindlemon77 Newbie

Truck:
    '66 Stout
    So I am wiring my alternator and there are three wires from the back of it. They are labeled E, N, and F. The F went to 'feild' on the mechanical voltage reg. But I'm not totally certain that the other two are. E for earth? I thought one had to go to 12v switched power.. anyway if anyone has some info it would be much appreciated!

9. Subscan

Subscan Member

Truck:
    Stout 1967
    NICE!!!..Is it an RK43 ..if so I have the wiring diagram. That may help

10. goingnowherefast

goingnowherefast Enthusiast

Truck:
    1965 Stout
    Can you put a tape from the door jam to the rear of cab for me. I'm hearing that in mid 65 Toyota extended the cab by 50mm/2inches. :shrug:

11. blindlemon77

blindlemon77 Newbie

Truck:
    '66 Stout
    Sorry i haven't been online in awhile, i will get the tape measure out and let you know soon though!

12. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    62 toyopet and 76 toyota stout
    the US only had RK41-L (the L is the code for lite) RK43 is the same electrical system, the US version had a larger 1900 3R with 7.50 14 inch tires and softer suspension with only a 450kg or half ton imperial payload were the RK43 lite stout that was known in other countries has a 2R 1500 6.50 13 inch tires and one tonne metric 1000kg payload.

as a tip fit a relay in for the headlights as the switch is a real weak point and burns out real easy and if brighter than factory headlights are fitted the contacts in them melt and there is no replacement

13. blindlemon77

blindlemon77 Newbie

Truck:
    '66 Stout
    So i have not been on here in ages... hate to say it but the stout got a bit put on the back burner for awhile.

goingnowherefast, do you still need those measurements?

This got put on the backburner because of my other project, i am putting a toyota 2jz in my old 1983 BMW 533i =]] I am not sure if there is a place for that n this forum, but it is a toyota engine haha.

Also, i was initially going to put a 1uzfe v8 in it, but changed to a 2jz. I have the 1uzfe low miles and nice with a custom bellhousing and w58.. I am going to post it in the classifieds but i dont have enough posts =[

I hope i only need like ten because, if i am honest, im mostly gonna be on mye28.com forums until i finish this project!

14. blindlemon77

blindlemon77 Newbie

Truck:
    '66 Stout
    Also, in actual stout news, i am thinking of taking some classes on english wheel and some other bodywork stuff... and attempting to turn the stout into something like this. I figure if i can accomplish all of the bodywork myself i can justify paying someone to sort out the mess i made of the wiring haha. Actually I did sort out my wiring problems for the most part. Main problem i have is the brakes, and me not wanting to shell out for wheel cylindars when i will probably be putting it on a modern frame eventually with rotors. And... also.. i seem to have misplaced the title =[ but im hoping that will just magically re-appear!

[​IMG]

15. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Interesting concept; I prefer the 6 series, myself. I never thought of dropping a 2JZ into a BMW...

How far are you on your swap? It seems to me that BMW likes/has to tilt their engines to keep the hoodlines low.

Sorry for the drift/hijack...

16. Barnacles

Barnacles Enthusiast

Truck:
    89 Hilux - 3VZE
    Wow! Cherry of a stout, for sure. That white extended cab looks like a sweet concept to shoot for, too. Go for it!

17. blindlemon77

blindlemon77 Newbie

Truck:
    '66 Stout
    I like the e24's also but i love my e28 =]

The 2jz should actually fit just about perfectly. BMW made really tall engines and then tried to put them in shallow engine bays and thats why they are tilted i would imagine. I have mine out of the car and its pretty darn massive for a straight 6. The 1uz was way shorter but massively wide. We could have made it work but it would have involved a custom rack and pinion instillation and custom really crappy flow headers that would never really be able to be upgraded.

Strangely enough the 2jz fuel lines and everything are already pretty much in the right place. Should be quite straight forward, compared to how the 1uz would have been.

Kind of a bummer since i spent all that time putting together my 1uz setup and now i have to sell it off =\

Yeah, its probably a distant future thing but one day i hope to have my stout looking a lot like that picture.

18. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    As an Australian if I did live in the US I would love one of those toyota V6 Uhaul engine and chassis and venture down into south America such as Ecuador find an actual dual cab stout and a factory lwb load deck and make myself a V6 stout dually, as such things don't exist here

19. blindlemon77

blindlemon77 Newbie

Truck:
    '66 Stout
    I feel like even down in South America it would be a chore to find one, but i am not sure. I went to Ecuador once, but i had no idea what a Stout was or that they even existed back then haha.

So, i am not sure how i didnt think of this myself, but if i can find the scratch to keep the 1uz i might have to put it in the stout =]

My optimal dream would be to find a 2wd tacoma/pickup that has the r150 transmission but a blown motor, use that tranny in the 2jz/BMW project, then channel the frame and throw the stout onto that and put the 1uz and w58 in there. But that is wishfull thinking, and would depend on me finding a pot of gold a little bit.

Anyway. i almost think this thread should be moved, as the way things are going i may not have it built for quite some time. :(

20. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    Most of the photos I have seen of the duel cab stout are of RK101 version, the RK101 were 7/1968-7/1978 not sure off the top if the duel cab was done the full production time. apart from the odd one that pops up in Japan the bulk of the duel cabs were in south America countries as the stout was still manufactured in japan for the south American market as late as 2000 and more easily found as the Toyota stout 2200 with the 1983 hilux style body 4y engines with the beam axle front leaf springs until it was replaced by the hilux in 2001 renamed the stout II
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have many other photos, most of the double cabs are south American yet the photos are on my computer and I only have my phone atm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2013