choking while driving

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by double_stuff, Feb 13, 2012.

1. double_stuff

double_stuff Newbie

Truck:
    93 toyota pickup
    ok so i been visiting this site for a few months browsing and finally joined the site. im having a issue with my bagged daily 93 yota pickup. 22re, 5 speed manual. all last week when driving to and from work, my truck will act like its choking and u can feel the truck kinda bog down a little. it will lose a little speed if im going up a hill but then if i press on the gas some more it will pick back up to speed. ive asked numerous friends and havent had the chance to get out and look at it. my buddy said to check the IAC and the EGR valves. i found a few diagrams for where the egr is located but not the iac. and havent found any. i even looked up a pic of what the part looks like to try and find on the motor and no luck. i looked through a few threads on here with some issues that had the same problems i had but idk think its my timing or anything like that. thought it oculd have been the cat but there is not one on this truck when i bought it from the guy. anyways if anyone could help me out and lmk where or what to check it would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

2. Zombie40cal

Zombie40cal Newbie

Truck:
    93 2wd xcab 22re
    This has got to be a common issue. I have the same problem on my 93 & would like some ideas on where to start.

3. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    is your exhaust restricted/smashed? Engines are like air pumps, if the exhaust cant get out its gonna bog down like that.

4. double_stuff

double_stuff Newbie

Truck:
    93 toyota pickup
    ive noticed the tip was bent at the end of the turndown but not anywhere else. guess ill look again.

5. ShortyzKustomz

ShortyzKustomz Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Single Cab
    Mine did that too, Ended up being my igniter was starting to fail. A faulty AFM can be to blame on these trucks too. Mine didnt like the intake on it either.

6. double_stuff

double_stuff Newbie

Truck:
    93 toyota pickup
    what u mean by the igniter shorty?

7. ShortyzKustomz

ShortyzKustomz Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Single Cab
    Square thing in the pic. It sends signal to the coil. Mine went bad twice on me, Its not a cheap fix either, I got both mine used

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  8. gilpet79

gilpet79 Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 2wd
    When my 94 did this i replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor and the issue went away

9. Boozehound

Boozehound Newbie

Truck:
    '86 2wd single cab
    My friends truck was doing this same thing a couple months back. He finally changed the pickup coil inside the distributor and problem solved. My truck just started doing this last week so the first thing i changed was the pickup coil and it has stopped since. I got a new one from autozone for 37 and some change. But you have to adjust the air gap on it.

10. double_stuff

double_stuff Newbie

Truck:
    93 toyota pickup
    you know what yall might be right on the igniter or pickup coil. cause when i first bought this truck and got it home the damn coil pack was mounted under the same screw that the MC onto the brake booster mounts too. guess that was their relocation area but the thing was is it wasnt grounded to anywhere so we added a ground strap just for the time being so i might look into that first cause that did give me alot of probs at first til we fixed that junk. i mean i asked my buddy whos avid with mechanical issues on import trucks and he said he didnt think it was a bad spark plug but then again u never know. but i appreciate the help here. **** has been getting on my nerves the pass few weeks for real.

11. double_stuff

double_stuff Newbie

Truck:
    93 toyota pickup
    ok guys so this past saturday i broke down and started getting into it to find out the problem. took the intake tube off and carbon buildup was on the flap that mounts to the front of the intake. cleaned that up and the truck ran great for half the day but the prob of the bogging down/choking it does came back. i checked spark plugs and rotor button and ignition coil and all that was clean with no corrosion or anything that looked sketchy. well today i messed with it again because ive narrowed it down to either be the exhaust which i need to look back under the truck again or the idle air control valve or the throttle position sensor. now i unplugged the TPS earlier while the truck was running and it was idling really low but after i unplugged it the truck starting idleing up like it should. so do yall think this could definately be my prob before i spend the near 100 bucks on the sensor? please lmk or if anyone has suggestions on how to test the TPS or the idle air control valve to know that its definately bad. thanks.