Is a 22r motor a zero tolerance motor?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Cache, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Cache

Cache Newbie

Got an 84 pickup that I am currently looking to purchase, dont really know the whole scoop on its past..... with that said, a friend looked at it and wondered if it was a zero tolerance motor? I replied in suit and said I dont know! I guess the timeing chain busted once and the current owner fixed it but said that it never ran the same. its been parked for the past 3 years.... any insight on this matter would be awsome! I am new here and kind of signed up so that I can find out if this thing is worth $500 bucks or not.... :bowdown:

2. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    I think your friend meant "interference or non-interference"... The answer is yes, the 22r/re is an interference engine. If the chain broke it's very likely it has bent valves and or cracked pistons...

Parts are pretty cheap online if your buddy is up to the rebuild. I'd estimate another $500 or less if the cylinder head is still good to get it up and running + food and beer for your buddy of course.... :waytogo:

3. Cache

Cache Newbie

Sweet! Thankyou so much, i was wondering what the interference was about.... yea, i havent said anything to the guy yet about if i want the truck.... so you say the parts are pretty good, and just so you know, i am not a motor head guy, this is a project that I am hoping to get me into the garage and learn!!!!
    so, the cylinder head.... not sure what that is... my bud will know.... hey, thankyou so much and I will be in touch

4. MarcinAJ

MarcinAJ Member

Pull the valve cover off and do a leak down test on each cylinder. If any valves are bent you'll find a lot of leakage from the cylinder and be able to hear air moving in the intake manifold or exhaust.

5. OldSchool84DevilLux

OldSchool84DevilLux Enthusiast

Truck:
    1984 Toyota Sr5 PU Xtra Cab(Hilux)
    A cyl leak down test is done with valve cover on tdc in testing cyl with special injection unit