1977 Toyota Longbox SR5 build (Rat Rod Style)

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Dookie_11B, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Dookie_11B

Dookie_11B Newbie

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Longbox SR5
    the story of the truck is a long one. it used to be my great grandfathers. he bought it brand new. he used the truck as a work truck on their ranch, till he passed away in 87. it was driven for a few years after my most of my family, until the clutch went out. i guess it has been sitting for aprox. 20 years. the keys were given to me by my grandfather when i was 15 amd he said if you can get it running its yours. i am now 25 and just getting around to doing it. i plan to rebuild the engine, im doing the head work myself in school, so far it is perfect condition. all valve have no wear, valve guides are perfect, springs are still good, all specs suggest the odometer reading is accurate at 54420 and hasn't rolled over already. im sending the block work to a local shop to have it machined for 22R pistons. the body work will not be anything special. im keeping the original paint and rust spots, just gonna give her a good bath get all the black widows and snakes out of it before we fix what needs to be fixed to get it road worthy. then a few custom mods, suspension, custom exhaust work, wheels, tires, brakes, new interior, and some audio (nothing special tho) and some others that i think of along the way, then a few months from starting it will be done. please feel free to suggest a few things, i'm a subaru mechanic but i've never owned a old toyota so i dont know everythign bout these trucks like i do subarus haha. well pics will come as progress happens along with detailed list of what has been done.

Attached Files:

2. Dookie_11B

Dookie_11B Newbie

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Longbox SR5
    20R head

so this is the head work i did in class. jet washed the head, bead blasted it, measured the valve guides (that's what the writing is), cleaned out all the carbon build up in the emissions system, then back in the jet was a few times to get all the beads out, then use and air gun to blow everything out.making sure to get all the beads. i also measured the valves, they are all just about perfect in spec. i will do a complete valve job on this head.

Attached Files:

3. andysmiley17

andysmiley17 Veteran

Truck:
    82 Diesel
    looks like that truck has ALOT of potential, plus it has a great story behind it too. i cant wait to see what you do with it

4. Dookie_11B

Dookie_11B Newbie

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Longbox SR5
    it does have a lot of potential. once our new shop is finished we will be moving the truck to the new shop and tearing it completely apart. do some body work, redo all the wiring, some new interior, most likely a new gas tank, and some other things then put it all back together.

5. 831kid

831kid Member

Truck:
    78 hilux
    the picture of it in the weeds looking at the tailgate is awesome and that thing is dent free as far as i can see i would love to have a straight body rather then bondo body whats going to happen with the build the plans

6. Dookie_11B

Dookie_11B Newbie

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Longbox SR5
    thanks. i am a amateur photographer. as far as the truck, the body is perfect not a dent in her. i am thinking of going with a rat rod themed truck, slammed to the ground, exhaust stacks behind the cab, rusty body, black wheels white walls with chrome half moons. big suicide shifter with a grenade on it haha. im rebuilding the head right now and plan on punching the block out a little. bigger carb, a little bowl blend in the head, and some custom headers and complete exhaust system.