Article from the February 1974 issue of Hot Rod Magazine

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by integra2nr, Sep 11, 2011.

1. integra2nr

integra2nr Member

Truck:
    74 Hilux Long Bed
    I recently found this in an old issue of Hot Rod and found it cool. As I have a 74 Hilux.

Attached Files:

2. knucklehead

knucklehead Enthusiast

Is there any way you can resize that so we can read it?

3. Enemy of the State

Enemy of the State Enthusiast

Truck:
    1985 xtra cab
    I never knew they turbo'ed a 74 hilux!!

4. dagnisaun

dagnisaun Enthusiast

I tried..

5. integra2nr

integra2nr Member

Truck:
    74 Hilux Long Bed
    Toyota states that the purpose of the Ultimate Yamahauler is "to create a unique vehicle with a broad range of appeal." They have created a great-looking truck for many purposes. Pulling into Indian Dunes, in Valencia, California, The Yamahauler drew admiring looks from the local motocross hot-shoes. But what if you're not a motorcycle freak? How'd you like to pull into your local drag strip in this showpiece?
    Specifications start with a standard 2-liter 18R-C engine. But on that engine is a turbocharger by Ak Miller, providing a maximum of 7-pounds boost for an estimated one-third power increase. The rear is a bolt-in chrome-plated differential from a Jaguar XKE. Jag XKE disc brakes are used in the rear, modified Toyota Crown discs in front. Toyota contacted Don McCain of Cragar, in Compton, for the wheels. Cragar supplied customized bolt-on wheels--7x14 for the front, 9x14 for the rear. G60-14 (9-inch-wide) front tires are used, M60-14s (11 1/2 inch-wide) are on the rear, all by Goodyear. The upholstery in the interior and in the bed of the truck was done by Al Taylor of Taylor Industries, San Diego. Body fabrication was done by Bert McCowin of Daly City, winner of several rod and random shows in the San Francisco area. The paint scheme (incorporating the Yamaha colors) was conceived and executed by Molly Design of Santa Ana. The Ultimate Yamahauler is the ultimate way to go!

I filled in the blanks

6. integra2nr

integra2nr Member

Truck:
    74 Hilux Long Bed
    I know with my 74. I'm going to take some cues from this one. I love how they used the Jag rearend, making it disc and independent rear suspension, and it looks like it can still be used as a truck.

7. dagnisaun

dagnisaun Enthusiast

teamwork :waytogo:

8. integra2nr

integra2nr Member

Truck:
    74 Hilux Long Bed
    Has anyone else found any old articles on our trucks like that? If so, can you post them?

9. 86extTURBO

86extTURBO Veteran

Truck:
    1986 ext cab Turbo
    that thing is sick its got irs??

10. integra2nr

integra2nr Member

Truck:
    74 Hilux Long Bed
    yeah, Jaguar independent rear suspension with the internal disc brakes(placed beside the pumpkin instead of at the wheels). Built way back in 74, cant believe the vision they had back then. It also has fender flares to accommodate the wider rear tires. Dual spring over shocks.

11. Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Addict

That's awesome! I was 8 years old. Most guys on here weren't even conceived in the back of the station wagon at the drive in yet!

Unfortunately, drive in's have been replaced by drive by's and station wagons with PT cruisers. Those were truly the good ole days. Cool little truck, thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011