Help!!! sidedraft webers

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by 75hilux, Aug 8, 2011.

1. 75hilux

75hilux Member

Truck:
    75 hilux
    so i recently installed a set of 40mm weber sidedraft carbs. Now mind you i had a completly stock truck before this that ran. ok so i bolted them up ran a new fuel filter a new fuel pressure regulator and a fuel pressure gauge inline btween the carbs. i have a factory electric fuel pump that feeds the new system. my problem is that after hooking up everything i go to start the truck and it will start and then imediatly die there after. i pump the gas a couple of times and it does the same thing. im lost at what could be wrong. i know its fuel related but i dont understand where. i did have to replace the ground side of the starting system and the starter as well due to upon first start it froze and melted the positive battery terminal... help me out guys. im right there and i cant figure it out.

2. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Why is the regulator in between the carbs? Its either before or after depending on the regulator type.

Will it run if you crack the throttle open a bit? Sidedrafts are finicky to setup at first especially webers but, once you get the routine down its pretty easy and the sound they make is addicting!

Be sure they are working in sync (throttle action) and you'll need a syncrometer to balance the airflow across all 4 cylinders at idle.

Fuel pressure can be set anywhere from 2-1/2 - 4 psi.

good luck!

3. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    Did you buy the carbs new. If you got them used its a good idea to check the jets and make sure they are all spiting.. I just put on a set of 45 webbers a damn that was a b*tch. Those thing a sensative. YOu have the regulator in between the two carbs wouldnt it only be regulating one side? Put it on the main line before the spliter.

4. 75hilux

75hilux Member

Truck:
    75 hilux
    Ya I Have it before the carbs sorry if I confused ya guys. But ya I did buy hem new but I am wondering if I might have messed up the fuel pump relay when I had my electrical issue. Any thoughts. Plus what should be my regulators static set up. Right now it's screwed all the way out.

5. 75hilux

75hilux Member

Truck:
    75 hilux
    Oh and what should I set my timing at. It was really advanced with the stock carb cause it was crap but Idk with this new set up

6. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    leave your timing alone for now, if it ran before you should be close enough to start setting up the carbs. If you are really worried about it set it up just like if you remove the distributor ( rotor facing at #1 spark plug )

pull your fuel line off to the carbs and make sure you are getting fuel to em, i dont know if the side drafts have a sight glass for the float, but if they do check to make sure the floats are....well floating mid glass.

pull the filters off and pump the throttle by hand a few times to see if the acc. pumps shoot fuel into the bowls, that will help start too.

good luck.

7. 75hilux

75hilux Member

Truck:
    75 hilux
    So I pumped the gas a couple of times and sure enough the truck fired. Not it died right after so I wondering why the fuel pump is not consistently feeding gas.

8. Nook

Nook Addict

Have you actually checked the fuel flow from the pump? whats the float level adjustment in the carbs? are they set correctly? a major vacuum leak somewhere?

9. 75hilux

75hilux Member

Truck:
    75 hilux
    So I looked and I'm wondering now about the pcv valve. It originally hooked to the intake manifold now it jus sits there.. U think that's it. Do I need to t into my booster vacuum maybe

10. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    First you gotta make sure your getting a good flow off the fuel pump.pcv valve? what kind of intake are you running? are you using insulators or straight to the intake manifold. center pull or dog bones? trying to narrow this down.

11. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    take a pic of your set up, maybe that will help us out

12. 75hilux

75hilux Member

Truck:
    75 hilux
    here is my set up

Attached Files:

• toy.jpg
      toy.jpg
      File size:
      62.1 KB
      Views:
  13. Seventy6Celica

Seventy6Celica Member

Truck:
    75 Hilux
    I know when my cousin put his side draft set up on his celica, he had the same issue. It turned out to be his fuel pump was too weak. He put in a Holley fuel pump and it solved his problem.

14. 75hilux

75hilux Member

Truck:
    75 hilux
    Ya I am thinking that might be what I need to do. I have literally tried everything with the same results. Wel guess I'm gonna look for a electric pump.what's the best way to do this. I have heard of people using an external pump and jus running off of a switch and leaving the old pump in the tank.

15. Seventy6Celica

Seventy6Celica Member

Truck:
    75 Hilux
    Or you could use the positive running to the stock fuel pump and run that to the external pump. That's what I did when my stock pump went out. I've never had a problem with fuel delivery since.

16. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    try this, leave your pump hooked up with out the regulator... get a REALLY GOOD pressure gauge and check the pressure, if it falls between 2-4 psi, your good to go, run the carbs with out the regulator... i had a cheap ass pressure regulator, truck wouldn't start, i hooked it up without the regulator, truck runs fine!... Good luck...

17. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Kroooooook! Krooooooook! :waytogo:

18. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    huh wtf is kroooooooook lol?

19. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    sides my freind

I can tell you dont have sides.krook kroook eeeerrrrrrrrrrr..

20. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux

Go stand outside and look up at the full moon and with your tongue on the roof of your mouth say Krooooooook! Krooooooooook! as loud as you can! Then come back and post what it sounded like..... :ROFL: