Lookin for help on motor and tran sizes

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by digital-i, Feb 16, 2011.

1. digital-i

digital-i Member

Truck:
    1974 Hi-Lux
    Time to either redo or drop in a motor in my 74, currently 18rc with 4 speed trans.. Would like to know what would drop in , lookin for something that will drop in with current motor mounts , would like a 5speed trans ... Type I should be looking for so I do need any driveshaft modifications.. Thank you in advance

2. integra2nr

integra2nr Member

Truck:
    74 Hilux Long Bed
    my 74 has a 20r with a 5 spd from a 78 celica in it... i bought it that way but from the looks.. its a bolt in job

3. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Can swap in 20/22R/E should be pretty close bolt up.

4. northerntoy

northerntoy Newbie

Truck:
    1989 extracab
    are you sure it would fit the trans already there in the hilux with a 22r?

5. Inertia

Inertia Enthusiast

should be the same its an r motor 18r, 20r, 22r

6. 808ra29

808ra29 Member

18rg would be nice. I sold mine to Tyrone in pearl harbor. He may still have it. If I'm not mistaken it had all kinds of hks parts in it. pistons, cams, flywheel. Should bolt right in.

7. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    on my 73 it had the 8rc not the 18rc, and i had to custome make the brackets that go from the engine to the rubber motor mounts to make the engine fit. the mounts fit the mount spots on the frame. then when i swapped in my 5 speed i had to custom make the crossmember cause the transmission mount needs to be like 5 inches back from where my 4 speed one was and the crossmember was smack in the middle of the transmission. drive line still fit oddly enough though, i guess the 4 speed has a super long tail housing.

pics of the crossmember are in this thread, plus how close the crank pulley comes to the radiator
    http://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/engine-drivetrain-46/well-5294/

8. 831kid

831kid Member

Truck:
    78 hilux
    me and my buddy did the tranny swap from 4 to 5 speed in his 74 with the 18r everything bolted up and we made a custom crossmember took a 5 speed out of a celica it would be better to get a 5spd from a truck

9. northerntoy

northerntoy Newbie

Truck:
    1989 extracab
    I have a 5 speed sleeping in the garage and a 22r block.

10. El Dorado Jim

El Dorado Jim Newbie

I have a 74 hilux,it used to have a 18rc motor.it blew up about 6 mos. ago,my son had a 20r out of a 75 pickup...the frame rails are narrower than a 75 so I had to modify the motor mounts,and the 20r is longer than the 18r,so I couldn't install the stock fan and shroud.I went to Autozone and bought two 10" pusher electric fans and installed them in front of the radiator.....works good.Had to make an adapter for the lower radiator hose to accept the heater hose,also had to use the throttle linkage and accelerator pedal and mount from the 75,carb is on opposite side from 18r.......I had previously installed a 5 speed trans. from a 77 pickup and also front disc brakes from the same......turns out to be alot of work doing this,had to move clutch master cylinder a little bit,also had to change wheels,wouldn't fit over calipers......Good Luck......also,you will need the flywheel for a 20r,the bolt pattern is a little different from the 18r to a 20r

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011