loose steering

Discussion in 'Wheels/Tires' started by 71hans, Jul 18, 2011.

1. 71hans

71hans Member

Truck:
    71 Toyota Hilux
    I just got a 1971 toyota hilux and am working on restoring it. One issue I have come upon is how much the truck drifts while on the road. When driving on a bumpy paved road I felt like I was constantly keeping the truck center from both the left and right. Driving on a gravel road was no better...it was constant work to keep it centered on the road. Anyone have suggestions for how to fix this? Is this an issue with the steering or tires? The tires on it are really old and need to be replaced soon. Anyone have suggestions for tires for these trucks?

Thanks

2. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    You'll have to go through the whole front suspension. There are multiple parts, bushings, rod ends, and a steering box, any one of which could cause some or all of the wandering. Most likely it's a little bit of slop in all of the components. Comes with the territory... Sorry I can't point at one thing.

3. 71hans

71hans Member

Truck:
    71 Toyota Hilux
    would it be good to start with the steering box? Do these have a history of going out or needing rebuilt?

Thanks

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Think i read somewhere that u can adjust the steering box. But u still should look over all the steering linkage

5. powertech

powertech Enthusiast

Truck:
    1970 hilux
    well of course you need good tires.

and you should jack the front of the truck off the ground at the frame. and get underneath it and shake everything around and shake the tires around look for loose worn out tie rod ends ,ball joints, drag link what have you. even if its all ugly looking. if it is tight its fine.

pump it all full of grease and get it aligned.

the adjuster on top of my steering box took 3 turns and it helped out allot.
    dont over tighten yours just give it a turn or two and test it. you dont want it to tight or have it lock up on you. its easy ...a 14 wrench and a flat head.

but your dicking the dog if your front end is shot out and your tires are crap.

i would like to replace my 40 year old rag joint on mine.but i cant find a new one. it looks like a suzuki samurai one fits but i aint sure. its good piece of mind to have a new one.40 years is a long time for a rag joint. thats the stuff that bothers your mind when your flying down the freeway